Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravenar

Conventional rod for beginner??

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Al, I put this question up on the main board and would like to get some input from you about a custom made conventional rod for the beaches. First cost needs to be $150 +/- 50 bucks. Second I will only be using it for tossing tins, plugs, poppers etc in the +/- 1 oz range to 3 oz. I plan on putting a abu 5600 and or a calcutta 400(both reels I have). Third it will mostly be used for the beaches around Staten Island, Jamaica bay, some of Joisy, and Rockaway. Lastly I would like it before open season<S>. Now since I will be having my fiance buying it for me as a Valentine day present, I would like to make it as easy as possible. So any suggestions, would a custom rod be avalible or will any manufatured rods fit the bill?

Ravenar,

In that price range it would be very difficult to go custom. Probably a good production rod would work. However, you are looking for a conventional caster for 1-3 ounces for the beach. That means a rod about nine feet long. I know Lami puts out spinning rods in that range but I don't think they do it as a conventional.

Your best bet is to check both the Cabela's saltwater and Offshore Angler's catalogs for conventional surf rods. I believe I saw some in both catalogs.

Al

Ok then Al, Thanks for your advice. Now I was looking in the surfcaster and saw some rods at about $230-250(I went a bit over on my fiance's gift so i figure I can go over on mine now smile.gif) Am I now in a price range that you can advise me on?

------------------

Robert

"Ill catch a Bass on Staten Island one of these days"

Robert,

Now you are getting into the price range where you can go custom. Contact Mike and Cape Cod Tackle for either a Sabre or Allstar conventional 9 footer to throw 1-3 ounces. I am sure he will do it in that price range.

Al

Less than that, even with shipping included.

9' Sabre conventional should run $165-$175, maybe $25 for shipping? No idea on the shipping cost as I pick the rods he does for me up in person. That's with all the goodies, too, graphite trigger seat and diamond wrap.

Ditch,

Thanks for the heads up. We missed you tonight at the Wing Fling. Crazy was in his glory showing us the pictures from his Mexico trip with Cowhunter. The bucketmouth bass from El Salto were awesome.

Hope to see you in Freeport.

Al

Hi Al. I'll probably hit Freeport on Sunday--have to work Saturday. I'll try to time it so I'm there for your seminar.

Mike's on-line catalog currently lists the 1088 blank at $63.55, which is the one I would use for 1-3 oz, especially to throw poppers, as I feel the 1087 is too mushy for that application. Figure another $40 for the components, then whatever he's getting these days per wrap. Still under $200 I would figure. I might also have the tip cut back little by little until an 8/64 fits snugly--no more than an inch to 1-1/2".

Im looking for a good rod to pair with my conquest 300 I just got the reel yesterday and I cant wait to use it but I want to get a reliable rod to pair it with. Ive always wanted a custom rod but have no idea what to look for