Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fabe76

Lamiglas GSB1081L Set Up

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just acquired one of these blanks I would like some suggestions from the experts on this board on how they would set it up.It will be a spinning set up using a VS150 and 30lb power pro.I would like to do the striper guide as a double foot and the rest singles.I would also like your opinions on the pros and cons of this blank I hear its pretty popular with the Jersey guys.It's rated to 2 and 1/2oz is this realistic?the blank feels extremely light. Thanks in advance

fabe

why use singles??? a great set up for that rod is BSVLG's 40,30,25,20,16 with a 12 tip. It'll cast great and balance PERFECTLY with a VS150...

just curious as to why singles...

BC

Thanks BC as to the preference of singles it seems a growing trend to set up the light sticks with singles.I have an Arra 1083 setup like you describe.I also HAD a Batson 1087 I say had because I broke and it was set up with a 40 stripper and the rest singles.I was told that the singles cause less resriction on the blank I also feel that from a maintenance standpoint there is less foot meeting the epoxy less liable to crack.The Arra is four years old and even though I rinse it well after every use it is starting to get corrosion on some of the frames.Also I don't fish from any jettys so the durability of the doubles is not an issue.I am open to sugestions but based on most of the posts in this and other rod building forums I think the current trend is singles.I'd also like to your and others take on this type of set-up.How do you like to set up your Batsons the 1087 I mean.You also mentioned BSVLG guides which I have these are hard alloy?are the silicon carbide worth the money in your opinion. Thanks again Fabe76

I have the same blank 2 ways #1 is conventional (fluking) an #2 is a spinner with a 30H stripper and subsequent high frames, and it balances well with the old style Stradic 5000. I think it would balance well with a VS 150 with the high frame single foots and a 25H stripper. You'll see a big improvement in casting with the high frames.

Any way you build it you'll like it for the lighter side of beach fishin'. Good luck with it cool.gif

FAbe,

I think Im reading the same info as you with the movement toward singles on light sticks.. heres the problem. I dont consider a 108 1L a light stick. Maybe because where I fish my 1081L's and my rainshadow 1087's, Im not targeting small fish. I just need a smaller rod to fish the area.

a light set up, for some reason, I always consider to be fresh water. my thought in saltwater is that, no matter where I fish, there is a chance of catching a monster. I feel more confortable with more durable hardware on my rods with that being the case.

either way will work, but id take the extra durability with that blank. the difference in weight is minimal and there is zero difference in casting.

good luck.. this is a good topic..

BC

I built a 108 1L with all singles and I love it. It's been my rod of choice all season. I used Fuji Alconite guides, and they've held up beautifully. I used the Forhan locking wrap for extra durability.

I build that rod with a 40HH stripper and single foots on out from there. More than enough toughness and I can snap 20 lb line on it without even bending a single foot out of shape.

Remember, you can break 50 lb line on a 4 weight fly rod.

Keep the rod low and apply the pressure from the reel.

If the reel seat can take the pressure it really doesn't matter as to fighting ability of a rod and durability.

I think the trend towards smaller, lighter guides has some benefit on fast action rapid taper blanks with small tips. The 1081L is not a fast taper nor is it a light blank, and it can pressure a good size fish. The weight reduction with single foots does not benefit a parabolic rod like this one...I'd wrap double foot, mine is and it casts and fights fish just fine wink.gif

I had Al Goldberg build me a lami 1081l and here were his recommendations .

I prefer the Fuji YSG single foot high frame

guides. You can set it up in two ways:

Traditional:

30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 with a PST with a 10 ring.

Concept:

30, 20, 16, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, with a PST with a 10 ring.

Another option:

BSVLG 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 and a tip.

In this specific instance with a GSB1081L I would go with the Fuji YSG ultra high frame single foot guides in the following sizes:

30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 with a PST with a 10 ring.

You can substitute Alconites if price is an issue.

The spacing will be determined by the reel and line to be used, test casting and a stress distribution test. al goldberg

has anyone heard from Al ? how is he doing ?

I built a 1081L last Spring using BSVLG 40, 30, 25, 20, 16 + BPLT 12 Tip. The doublefoots are absolutely no problem. It is one fun rod to use. I've got a 710Z on it.

I mostly throw 1 - 1 1/2 oz. with it. The sweetspot is about 1 1/2 oz and it casts like a rocket.

Read what people recommend but build it your way. It is your "custom" stick.