Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike from PA

Installing cork tape

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys I have another newbie question for you.What is the procedure for wrapping cork tape to the grip & should I use the 1/8" or 1/16" stuff.Is the adhesive on the tape enough to keep it in place.This will be on a surf rod

Thanks for looking & any advice thanks Mike

Mike, I had always used the 1/8" tape until the rod I am working on now. I think I like the 1/16" better, it's not as spongy. I found that it was easier to apply as well, I seem to be cork tape challenged, oh well. I have never used anything but the adhesive tape that is on the back of the cork tape, it seems to hold well, never had it come lose. I have been told that some guys will put a light layer of epoxy underneath the cork tape, but I haven't found the need to. One recommendation, put a light coat of alcohol under the cork tape. It will give you a little time to slide the tape to set the seams, then once the alcohol evaporates the adhesive will hold it in place. You will want to put a little epoxy on the ends, under the tape, after you have wraped the cork tape, so it can't come loose and unravel.

I hope this helps.

Tony

I use a dab of Crazy clue under the ends to keep them in place. with epoxy, the ends will lift off before the epoxy dries thusleaving you with ends that stick straight up and you cant fix em cause they are epoxied in place.

Crazy glue dries fast and well, its crazy glue, it aint coming up. I then wrap some thread over the ends and epoxy that (kinda like a decorative thing around the reel seat. Serves two puposes..1) looks nice 2) I epoxy from the tape to edge of the reel seat and in doing so the reel seat is sealed, no water can get it and start to eat away at the epoxy under the seat!

BC

I use a dab of Crazy clue under the ends to keep them in place. with epoxy, the ends will lift off before the epoxy dries thusleaving you with ends that stick straight up and you cant fix em cause they are epoxied in place.

Crazy glue dries fast and well, its crazy glue, it aint coming up. I then wrap some thread over the ends and epoxy that (kinda like a decorative thing around the reel seat. Serves two puposes..1) looks nice 2) I epoxy from the tape to edge of the reel seat and in doing so the reel seat is sealed, no water can get it and start to eat away at the epoxy under the seat!

BC

I only use the 1/16 stuff with the fabric backing. The glue holds fine. I also wrap the ends with thread. Sometimes just black electrical tape under the butt cap will do but for the better rods I wrap both ends with thread and apply finish.

Mike, as the others have said, many ways to do it, but adhesive on the tape is all you need. Wanted to add how I install it on the blank. I prefer to put the tape on at 30-45* angle rather then square. Once I get the butt end wrapped, I stop and put electrcial tape or super glue to hold it. As I wrap up the rod, I am constantly putting pressure on the tape already wrapped with one hand, as I wrap the tape with my other. I find that pulling the tape out away from the preceeding wrap, and then pulling it in tight a little at a time, the seems are almost invisible! When I get to my ending point, I again tape or glue the end, and then make it a point to work my hands up and down the grip in light twisting motion to assure I get full adhesion. I am not sure I am explaining it well, so feel free to send a PM and I'll try and explain it better. The main point, is don't just try and match the seems wrapping quickly. The tape will shrink and your seems will be visible. I use 1/16 inch tape. Another option, is to use a flocked shrink tube over the tape for added durability and a bit different look. That will also help you hide unsightly seems if that's a concern.

I have found that no matter what you do , a heavily used rod will need a new layer of corktape every few years. It just gets dried out and worn by your hands if you use a rod a lot.

I have a factory assembled St. Croix rod where the cork tape is getting very worn. I would like to replace the tape myself, and I feel up to the challenge, as I am not an experienced rod builder. My only concern is the area towards the reel seat where a small section of black foam sits. How do I get the old cork tape out from underneath that black foam, and then re-install new cork tape underneath, without destrying the section of foam all together? I would hate to have send the rod butt all the way to St. Croix only for new cork tape?

Hooked up, the first thought I have is to see if the eva foam is epoxied where the cork tape meets it. If not, you could possibly lift the eva up a half inch or so, and make a straight cut on the tape where the foam would normally cover it. With carefull measure, you can install the tape so that it's pre-cut to end exactly where you made your cut, a dab of super glue, and tuck it under the eva.

i use a doubble face tape on the pole then [to the left] at the cork tape [to the right]. you can pick it up a golf store [doubble face tape]

$6.00 a roll. supper glue the end's then put thread on and epxoy

Hookedup:

My $0.02 - You can do it. (I'm assuming its the butt grip.) Cut/unwrap the wornout corktape. Use a sharp blade (Exacto, or single edged razorblade) and cut it evenly where it meets the EVA. Remove all of the corktape grip. Use a very fine sandpaper and remove as much of the reaining glue residue that you can. Next wipe the area down with rubbing alcohol, paint thinner or acetone to remove the last of the residue.

Get yourself some new corktape from your local B&T (around 3 ft. per foot of the grip you want to replace), a new buttcap, some size D, black, rod winding thread, some black electrical tape, the smallest bottles of Flexcoat they sell and a small hobby brush. Also get some advice on how to begin and end a thread wrap.

Wrap the corktape on at a shallow angle around the blank. Cut it off neatly around the end of the butt. Wrap some electrical tape arond the bottom of the butt and put on your new buttcap.

Move up to the EVA foam and cut your new corktape grip as straight around and as close to it as possible. Put a wrap of electrical tape around the end of the corktape against the EVA foam. Neatly start winding the winding thread around the electrical tape up to cover it up to the EVA foam. Finish off your winding.

Follow the package instructions to mix the Flexcoat and then brush it on over your thread winding. You'll have to keep turning the rod until the Flexcoat sets up so it doesn't sag. Then set it aside overnight. You might want to give the wrap a second coat the next day.

If you've done the job this far you can build a complete rod. Good Luck.

(Or, you can just take the rod into your local B&T and let them do the job for you.