Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Collins

Extending Fuji's New Guide Concept for a longer rod.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I've downloaded the Fuji's New Guide Concept size and spacing recommendations but for spinning rods, it only goes up to a 9' rod - and I've been unable to make a contact through their distributor. I'm going to be building on a GLoomis 11'3" GL3 blank soon and would like to know what the Fuji recommendation would be on a rod of that length. I know there are several other spacing methods used on other websites but I'm specifically interested in Fuji's. If nothing else, I can probably take the 9' spacings, add 27" to the front end, work backwards and estimate the extra spacings needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

From my understanding of the concept, you should just add more of the smallest guides at regular intervals out to the tip. Rod length doesn't play that big a roll because your intersection point is determined by the height and angle of the reel spool shaft. Also, the distance to this intersect point should be a constant value for a given reel, no matter how long the rod (I'm ignoring the taper of the blank as its negligable, IMO). Because of this, I have no idea how fuji or anyone else could come up with a generic spacing chart??? I suggest you use the Kirkman method which will give you a far more accurate idea of where your guides should be.

I'd buy a couple of different size guides, and test cast each one. I like the smallest guides on the tip, I do this on my the few spin and all conventional boat rods I build. For the stripper, I'd try different sizes and different lengths to start with. I would find the best spot based on test casting the rod - regardless of theory or anything else.

If I built more rods where distance was of importance, I'd have a better answer. However, when I do build rods where it is important, I know I get the best results by testing a few different set ups and seeing which works best for casting, as well as for fish fighting.

FWIW,you may also want to consider that once you've gotten past the choke guide, the guides from there on out can be set up in any spacing consistent with the specific blank. I would be more comfortable with a static deflection spacing. You can add or subtract guides as the blank dictates. It is generally accepted that you might use one guide per foot of blank lenght and maybe add an addtional one if needed. This seems to be a good starting place, but you can modify to your specific needs.

Tim,

Tom Kirkman lays out what is probably the most easily understood methodology for laying out a new concept rod, regardless of size. It gets a couple of pages in his book "Rod-Building Guide" and is also covered in an article in the library on the site he runs. It's a .org site, so hopefully it won't get edited if I post it. If it does, PM me.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

Thanks Rich, I'm fully aware of that process. But that one differ's from what Fuji recommends - who I believe invented the New Guide Concept process with their offering of lighter guides, more guides, and shorter height Concept guides. Thanks anyway.

Although Fuji did invent the concept, Kirkman's method is the best way to apply it to your particular rod and reel. Any generic spacing chart that Fuji might offer is only a rough guide.

Fuji's recommendations are available at Anglersresource site. The pdf download is very slow and unreliable and I had to try several times to get all 5 pages(not worth the trouble IMO). There are data for spinning rods to 13' on page 2 or 3 under the heading "sea bass rods". Right now I'm struggling with that "concept" thing myself and frankly, for a lot of reasons, I'm ready to kick it to the curb.