Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

"The Indian" out of Kennebunkport

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Al:

Does The Indian still sail out of Kenebunkport? With the Cod Poulation on the rise, I wonder if it will eventually start to happen out their again??

Joe,

He has been whale watching ever since the fishing slowed down up there. He has not advertised in the NE Fisherman. The last I heard was that there were no more headboats sailing out of Kennebunkport. The closest was the Bunny Clark out of Perkins Cove.

Al

Boy did I miss out on that fishin'. My friend Dave told me that that was 45 minutes from the dock, 1/2 day fishing. You made both the AM and PM trips and just filled the biggest Coffins full of giant cod! All in Short sleeve weather.

I still think that large cod could be targeted, but , I think that there is no motivation on the New England fishing fleets. A couple of years ago I made a marathon to Platts or N Jeffreys out of Newburyport. While we didn't catch the ole soakers you speak of we did catch alot of medium cod! Lots of fish in the teens and a couple pushing 20# or so. With the boats we have today there is no reason not to be able to fish these waters on a regular basis. A boat like the Yankee Capts should be able to make Platts or Phippenes in 3 hours. Why not do like they did at Montauk and leave 4AM daily and return at 6PM. You just don't have the folks who want to do this anymore. Most Tourists are fine with leaving the dock at 7 and returning at 4pm with a gallon ziplok of Scrod Fillets.

One time my brother Frank went out on the Patriot and caught LARGE!. I steamed out there 5 days later. Capt wouldn't go back to the grounds he caught those fish on because there were too many senior citizens on board that day and he feared that someone would have a heart attack reeling 20+ pound cod through 270 ft of water. Large cod can be targeted at times. Just too many things have to come together! Capt Tom Lukegord on the Nocole Rene' did it and they nearly ran him out of town! He had a 90# cod on one of his marathons in 1997! Big Al(all tackle halibut world record holder) on the Patriot told me of the trip he had where Capt. Lukegord fished a drop 40 minutes from the dock in June with a steady pull of steaker cod. From where they were fishing you could still see "The Man At the Wheel" Memorial Statue!

Joe,

What eats me up is that we had wrecks southeast and southwest of Montauk that steadily produced steaker cod in June and July with an occasional fish over 40#.

These were small pieces we fished on the Karen Sue and I would regularly book 15 trips every summer. Today those wrecks are relatively empty. We do see giant sea bass and pollack on them in the late fall.

I can't remember the last time I went for cod.

Al

When Private drops don't fill up, something unhealthy is going on with the fishery! Billy used to put tape over the loran #s when he anchored on those spots!