Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnySI

casting blank question?????

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I`m thinking of switching over to a conventional setup for some heavy baitfishing I`ll probably be throwing 6-8oz and bait(mostly big heads)gonna go with a calcutta700 or gemini. I am very pleased with all my lamiglass rods I have but I checked out the XS101MHC and the tip seemed to light so I`m gonna have to go with a custom job Any help on choosing a blank would be much appreciated....Oh I only use one piece rods ........after I shot the tip off a 2 piece one into the channel last season thanx for the help...........John

I was also thinking about building a casting rod for the beach. One rod that looked good was an All Star/Breakaway GSW 1209. You can probably get it for under $100. Never fished it but it looks good on paper. Mike

Two favorite blanks of mine are both Lami:

Glass SB1213M

Graphite XRA1261MH

For other blanks I am sure other members will recommend something from both Allstar and Sabre/Pac Bay.

Al

I've got a 1209 and I love it. I would recommend it for two reasons: performance & cost. Now to be honest I must say I never casted any heaver type Lami rods to compare but, I do love my 1209. I opted for the Abu 7000 due to the price compared to the Calcutta and have been pleased with the balance as well. Just my .02

luke

I second Al on the SB 121 3M. Maybe even the 5M if you're throwing 8 oz and a big chunk.

Also, take a SB 136 4M and trim the butt to get a rod in the 10 to 10-1/2' range. Or a 136 3M and trim about a foot from the tip. The 3M also comes in S-glass to save a couple of ounces.

In graphite, the GSB 122 1MH should work if you want something around 10'. Or the GSB 136 1MH if you want 11-1/2'.

But, from a pure dollars and cents standpoint, the Breakaway (or All Star in a blank) 1209 is tough to beat. The blank only runs $30 more than the yellow glass Lami "SB" series. I just prefer glass rods for bait.

Your best bet would be the All Star 1209. I have buit about a dozen rods this year for conventional. It has a sweet spot of around 5 to 6 ounces.

------------------

Tight lines

Eric Peterson

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

Berkeley Striper Club Seaside Park N.J.

Eric, the 1209 would be great if they were still around wink.gif No one wants to wait a month or more to get a blank and like you said yourself, Allstar is just not able to keep up with demand...not even close. I love my 1209 for throwing big stuff...really big stuff.

For 6-8oz and bait, I'd be inclined to follow Ditch's advice, he's got more rods than any 20 of us wink.gif I'm loving my 136 3M from which I cut 14" from the tip, it sails 6-8oz and really wears the fish down in a hurry smile.gif I'm going to purchase a 121 5M just to compare the two. Like Ditch, I'm really getting fond of these glass rods, both for throwing bait with mono or lures with braid...they just feel right smile.gif

TimS