Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
santacruzer

To build or not to build

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

I have a factory built Ron Arra 1083-2 that I like a lot... for the most part. It's the cork wrapped grips that bothers me...a lot. I do not understand why most people would prefere such a thin grip. I don't have monster hands but find the thinness a problem to the point of building a rod just to avoid that grip. There must be a reason for the wrapped cork because just about everything on the market has them. So I'm sure it's me missing something.

I'm not opposed to building a rod, as I have done a few fly rods but the wrapped cork has still been a question for me for sometime. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks a lot for your time you guys. Paul

A cheap alternative is to layer something over the cork such as foam tape, thicker cork, etc. and put the diamond shrink over it. I am a novice and am in the process of doing a lot of my ratty grips like that. Easy-Peazy. I did several in a couple of hours.

Is it the first rod you've had with cork tape?

I remember thinking the exact same thing the first time I tried a cork tape rod. After using rods with natural cork or foam my whole life, these things felt like a toothpick in my hands. Now it's all I like to use. But if you been using it for a while and still don't like it, maybe it ain't for you. If it's a two piece rod you can switch to foam without too much trouble.

You can put a second and even third layer of cork tape to build up the diameter for more meat to grip. I use cork tape cause its a non slip , comfortable grip. i find it much better overall than foam and real cork. It has nothing to do with economics in my opinion , just performance.

My advice would be that an Arra 1083-2 should be built by an experienced rod builder. Its an awefully delicate rod when built perfectly , I don't think its a good choice for a beginner. Much more forgiving and for similar usage is the lami 108 1L. That is a more forgiving type of graphite and rod action. You might also want to consider a somewhat heavier rod altogether like an Allstar 1088 or rainshadow SU 1088 or 1087. They will be much more forgiving than the XRA 1083-2.

A cheap alternative is to layer something over the cork such as foam tape, thicker cork, etc. and put the diamond shrink over it. I am a novice and am in the process of doing a lot of my ratty grips like that. Easy-Peazy. I did several in a couple of hours.

I hope I'm doing this correctly! I am not familiar with "diamond shrink". I might be willing to try it if I thought it might solve my problem. Thanks for the reply. Paul

Is it the first rod you've had with cork tape?

I remember thinking the exact same thing the first time I tried a cork tape rod. After using rods with natural cork or foam my whole life, these things felt like a toothpick in my hands. Now it's all I like to use. But if you been using it for a while and still don't like it, maybe it ain't for you. If it's a two piece rod you can switch to foam without too much trouble.

WB,Yes this is the first corked wrapped rod I have owned as well as the first surf rod. I'll try to remain open minded and try it for awhile. Thanks, Paul

You can put a second and even third layer of cork tape to build up the diameter for more meat to grip. I use cork tape cause its a non slip , comfortable grip. i find it much better overall than foam and real cork. It has nothing to do with economics in my opinion , just performance.

My advice would be that an Arra 1083-2 should be built by an experienced rod builder. Its an awefully delicate rod when built perfectly , I don't think its a good choice for a beginner. Much more forgiving and for similar usage is the lami 108 1L. That is a more forgiving type of graphite and rod action. You might also want to consider a somewhat heavier rod altogether like an Allstar 1088 or rainshadow SU 1088 or 1087. They will be much more forgiving than the XRA 1083-2.

Salt, Thanks for the tip. Does your advise about building apply to the 1321-2 or the 1322-2 as well? I will keep trying the corked wrapped 1083-2 to see if it works better for me after some time. I'll check into the blanks you mentioned also. Paul

I know what you mean...I hate thin grips (and graphite reels seats) so I build all my stuff up with 8"-10" x 1.25" EVA foregrips (light, cheap, tough). They also give me something to choke up on for leverage without gunking up the blank.

A large foregrip also eats up enough space that I can run the butt wrap up to the first guide as an underwrap, which I think looks damn cool.

For retro-fitting, I like the cork tape they sell at bike shops - its cheap, durable, and comes in lots of cool colors.

Then again, I'm a rank amateur builder, so take my advice with caution.