Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmysrp

newb needs help on rod choice

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

well after nabbing blues all last summer but being eluded by stipers, i can safely say i'm a fishaholic, so i'd like to get my own rod that suits me

i fish all around nantucket, both surf side and sound side, and obviously for a rod i want big distance (duh!)

i do blues, stripers, and hopefully some bonita

so i use the normal stuff: 15-20lbs test, .75-1oz swimmer plugs or 2oz metal plugs

i'm about 5'8", 132lbs

i used a 10' ugly stick most of the time and would like something more. i also used my dads vintage fiberglass 13' strongman rods, those are hella heavy! killer on the wrists.

i'd like something on the longer side, but relatively light and stiff so maybe not past 11' i'm not really sure

i dont do overhead casts if that makes a difference, but if i'm getting a cool new rod i'll be checking up on cool new techniques as well smile.gif

i'm willing to spend a bit to get the best.

greatly appreciate any suggestions on rod or reel.

thanks! steve

For the stuff you mentioned to 2 OZ , two rods come to mind. One is the XRA 1321. 11 foot top of the line Lami. Expensive. You could also check the 1322 if you need more weight capability.

The other is a rod built on the Allstar 1265/2 blank. 10.5 feet and will just hammer 2 OZ. Rated 3/4 to 3 OZ. Less money.

i am happy using 2oz

i suppose there is a chance i would try out 3oz if i could find some good finger gaurds and the rod was stiff enough for it.

will 12' rod be less wieldly and significantly heavier than these shorter varieties?

Dont forget the lami 132 1L. Its light, 11ft feet and can launch the plugs your talking about.. It'll throw 3 as well without too much stress on the blank...

Its cheaper than the Ron Arra and comparable IMO...

BC

Jimmy all the rods mentioned are good choices. I am 5'9" 170 and the longer rods dont appeal to me. The 1204 I spoke about is about as big as I want to go. I can cast the rod all day without any problems. I had the 1321L and sold that too my buddy who is larger and much tougher ;> than myself and he loves the rod for 1-3 oz stuff. The bigger the rod the more energy you need to cast it for extended periods of time. Its especially tough to cast the big rods all night long and catch the 40 lber's one after the other till the sun comes up. You should try to find a fishing club in your area and test cast some of their rods before you buy one. Good Luck with your choice, Bruce.