Rainshadow SU1209 Review

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Blank: Batson Rainshadow 1209

Tip 10.5 ( I used an 11 Fuji Hardloy boat tip with a 12 ring

Butt: 1.07 inches

Guides: Fuji Hardloy BSVLG series

Reel: Nautil 7500 w/ 50power pro

Cast/ fished great with 4 & 5 oz leadheads with 9" sluggos or 10" fin-s-fish off the back or bucktails with a plastic teaser. Very sensitive with the PP easy to tell the difference from the lead head ticking the bottom and a fish hit. Easily handled fish to 22lb. Also no problem ripping the lead heads through a weed patch. I did try to throw a large gibbs darter with the rod. Too stiff for me, Did not work the plug well. Not sure about the use as a chunk rod, too stiff for my liking. Maybe for the guys using 6-8oz and a chunk it might be OK

It is stiffer/heavier than an Allstar Breakaway factory 1209 as I got to cast both set up with the same reel the other night. Nice blank for heavy jigging in the canal.

woosta

Worc,

I agree with you on almost everything. Now, I dont fish the Ditch, so I would never need to built that rod as a spinner. I can see your points on the jigs, that rod must launch those big jigs. I built mine conventional. I tested it with 4-5 oz jigs and was very impressed. I also have used it chunking down here. 8-10 oz of lead plus a BIG chunk were really no problem with this rod. "Lite" is an understatement, this rod is remarkably lite. It is very stiff, which I love because you get tremendous hook setting power, and you can really "stick" a fish, especially when fishing mono in the ocean where youre line can stretch.

The last thing I wanted to add, is that this is a GREAT bridge rod. I used it in the spring on bridge dropping 2 oz bucktails and was dead lifting 12-17 lb fish all night..

I used Fuji BNLG guides starting with #25 and working down to 12's with a 12 tip (25, 20, 16,16,16,12,12,12).

it casts the heavy stuff incredibly well...

BC

Is the rainshadow 1209 stiffer than the alstar.I know the allstar 1208 is stiffer than the rainshadow 1208.I though the rainshadows where alittle softer (more Parbolic) than the Allstars.Allstar,Rainshadow Sabre.Its confusin sometimes.

Rainshadow SU 1209 is virtually identical to the All Star 1209.

Rainshadow SW 1209 is not. Not even close.

The Rainshadow SW series is very close to the orginal IGSC series from Sabre. Those Sabres, in turn, were different from the later versions sold under the Sabre name by Pac Bay.

The Rainshadow SU line is very close to the All Star line.

If you're even more confused now I can't blame ya biggrin.gif

do you think using the SIC version of the guides you used would add any to your distance? just curious about the slickness of the SIC and wonder if it justifies the cost

I have a Sabre 1209 and a Rainshadow 1208. The 1208 seems to be very close to the 1209 ! I was a little dissapointed with it.

make no doubts about it... I havent fished the Ditch (yet smile.gif ), but the 1209 is as ballsy a rod as ive seen. I also havent fished the All Star... the RS SU1209 is perfect for bridge fishing we do here ont he Island. newell 344, 50 lb test, dropping 1.5 and 2 oz jigs directly into big fishies mouths and kicking their behind... it also easily casts 10 oz's and chunk, Im talking you can barely load the rod... ITs greatest strength IMO is the fact that it is remarkably light. It does have a big buttend tho...

Im wondering, having never fished the Ditch, if it is too much stiff for throwing 4 and 5 oz jigs???

BC