Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Epoxy...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Just a note...

FOr anyone who doesnt or hasnt heated epoxy before applying to the rod... DO IT...

I heated the resin and hardener in warm water for about 10 minutes prior to doing the rod. My epoxy has never come out soo nice... very few bubbles, very even, very clean.... what a difference...much easier to mix... I cant eblieve I never did that before...

BC- no questions this time Al... biggrin.gif

BC,

I cheat. I keep my bottles of unmixed epoxy in my drybox that is maintained at a temperature of 120 degrees. This keeps both parts very thin.

After mixing and applying the finish, I then gently flame the wraps with an alcohol lamp and then turn off all but one of the lights in the box to reduce the temperature to 72 degrees. This will allow the finish to cure more slowly and produce a much better finish.

Al

I guess these tips were kind of directed toward me. Thanks. About the use of a hair dryer - Be very careful!!!!! I did this once and was really surprised at how much lint/dust I had on my bench that ended up in the finish. Good thing it was on a test wrap. The torch is great, but just make sure to keep it moving.

Thanks guys, Billy