BassNuts

Hummingbirds

Rate this topic

1,002 posts in this topic

no pic but h.bird question(s), you guys ever observe them eating either spider webs or small bugs in the webs? my feeder is over a holly hedge and i was watching them last year and could never get a for sure on what they were up to. the spider population down here is pretty impressive. also few years back i swear i saw one nab a gnat outta the air, any you guys seen this? 

1 hour ago, sunobskt said:

no pic but h.bird question(s), you guys ever observe them eating either spider webs or small bugs in the webs? my feeder is over a holly hedge and i was watching them last year and could never get a for sure on what they were up to. the spider population down here is pretty impressive. also few years back i swear i saw one nab a gnat outta the air, any you guys seen this? 

I have seen them nail bugs out of the air.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:18 PM, Rickman said:

This is my first one of the year. Ref above, zoomed, it appears to have a spider wed thread from it beak to the top of her head.

4-28-19 BY Birds_057.jpg

4-28-19 BY Birds_054.jpg

4-28-19 BY Birds_064.jpg

apparently cobwebs on the beak/head is a thing

_DSC3934.jpg

I believe they use the web for nesting material and also get the protein from snacking on small bugs. Talk about a great shot get a HB picking a bug off the web, worth the major effort to get it done. 

Ok been trying for the last 2 years & today 5/22  we had over 1st sighting at the liquid feeder . I could not identify but Lower Hudson Valley NY there are ( from what I read ) mostly one of two species commonly found . Very exciting . :th: