Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linesidesonthefly

Any rod builders interested?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I would like to get an introduction into rod building. I'm seeking a mentor if you will. I would like to build a rod alongside another before I invest in all the equip.

I have a great attention to detail, (machinist) and decent manual dexterity and 20/10 eyesight. Finally, I dislike paying hundreds of dollars for a fly rod I can likely make myself.

I'm located in southern Maine.

HI,

I had to do some digging but I hope you live near one of these RodCrafters.

Bart Champoux, Belchertown, Ma.

Kermit Beane, Farmington Me.

Dan Richards, Portland Me.

If you are close tpo any of these builders please send me an email and I will try to get you a phone #.

Capt Neil

Hi,

I can not find a phone # for Dan Richards in all my Seminar notes.

Maybe you can check the phone books up by you.

I will ask around and keep trying for you.

Capt Neil

"...invest in all the equipment" ????? This is a common misconception. You actually need very little equipment to build rods. Here is a list of what you need. I assume that you are going to buy a ready-made cork grip rather than turn you own.

A rat-tail file for reaming out the inside of a cork grip to fit the blank (or buy a carbide-grit cork reamer from a rodbuilding catalog).

Razor blade & scissors for cutting thread (cheap fly-tying scissors are good for this).

A coffee mug (holds a spool of thread while you are wrapping a guide)

A phone book to run thread through to control and apply tension while wrapping.

You can use the side of a common ballpoint pen to burnish / smooth out the thread wraps.

Brushes for applying color preserver and epoxy.

A simple jig to hold the rod while the finish is drying. Cut V notches in two shoeboxes and lay the rod in the V notches.

Do not think that you cannot build excellent rods with this simple equipment. I built dozens of rods before I had any specialty equipment. The specialty equipment makes some tasks a little bit easier and/or less tedious but not necessarily better. With fly rods, the wraps are so short that you will not even begin to get tired wrapping them by hand. I have wrapped huge surf rods by hand. Take my word for it, fly rods are a piece of cake to wrap.

Rob

[ 09-27-2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: gadabout ]