Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rowdy

The Best Coating For Thread wraps?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

What do you guys think. i normally use flex coat but the guy i had bought my new fly rods from uses some type of varnish and his work was beautiful well what do you guys use i'm up for any suggestion..

I use flex coat.. I think the ket isnt really what you use but how well you apply it and take care of it.

In the past, Ive had some issues with what I thought was flex coat and actually it was me. I wasnt using it properly.

Keys to flex coat.. IMO

1) Heat the epoxy in some warm water before mixing it. it makes a WORLD of difference comes out crystal clear and its much easier to work with

2) take your time applying it.. if you have to mix two or three cups to complete a rod properly do it (is well worth it)

3) use an alcohol torch or a CLEAN burning heat source to remove any bubbles that you see after application. I do this 2,3,4 even 5 times over the course of an hour sometimes.

4) try, at all costs, when the rod is drying to keep any dust off the blank.

5) use a MINIMUM of two coats (i usually do 3). It makes the coats all look even and gives them a professional appearance.

6) make sure the rod is completely dry before applying next coat

I hope that helps..

any experts please add whatever you feel necessary!!!

BC

BC touched on some very important points in getting a good finish. Regardless of the finish you use, it is very important to work carefully and slowly to get the best results.

I recommend that you read part 4 on finishing of my 4-part series on basic rod building in the Articles section on this site. All the info is there to achieve a professional finish.

Try LS Supreme. Much more forgiving than Flex Coat in mixing and problems with contaminaton. Great self-leveling and bubble release and white clear, non yellowing.

JUST DON"T HEAT IT LIKE FLEX COAT