Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reefman

livelining rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

AL, I want to build a 6 1/2 or 7' rod for livelinnig bunker or for chunking. I will match the rod with a Shimano TLD 20 eith #25 mono line. I fish out of a small boat and things get banged around pretty hard so I prefer more durable glass blanks. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Reefman,

Since you live in Fairfield, CT you are less than an hour away. Let's plan on getting together in my shop and I can show you my own personal arsenal of bass chunking rods to pick from. I have all the blanks and other components so it will be "one stop shopping".

I am off to Allentown this weekend for the Rodcrafters National Seminar, but any other weekend morning would work.

Al

Reefman,

Judging not only from your location but also from your screen name, I guess you fish Pennfield alot? I live down the road in Old Greenwich and fish the area relatively often. Do you ever tuck your boat in off of the rocks at the end of the reef? I've only waded out there once, and seeing as you only get a really short time out there before the tide starts coming back in, I didn't do all that well. I have to imagine you'd be able to do some damage drifting near the boulders. Any specific techniques you use?

I do fish the reef alot but usually in waders like you. I keep my boat in Norwalk and there are so many good spots around the Islands there isn't much reason to burn the gas to get up to Penfield. The reef is very productive, particularly at night and you can maximize your fishing time by wading out a few hours before low tide and fish the bar through the ebb. I have caught fish all along the bar, but the boulder field at the end is by far the most productive. Just be absolutely certain about the tides because it fills in fast and can be a long dangerous swim back.

That's usually the time I fish it, on the drop through half of the incoming. Although that spot can be productive, I've yet to see any large come from there. Have you ever got into anything substantial? I've had a blast throwing pencil poppers at dawn for some big blues in the spring. A blue on the flats is such a blast.

I occassionally fish the Norwalk Islands on my buddy's boat, and THAT is some productive water!

Hope to see you out there come the spring.