Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Perma-gloss?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Right now I am using U-40 duragloss finish, I finished up my steelhead rod with it, and it came out OK, a little bumpy but I sanded it a bit, and its not bad for my first rod I guess. Well, Next blank in the line up is the SB1363M, I read that the Perma-gloss is better suited for Saltwater rods? What about the application, does it go on smoother?

Im doing it factory style baby, Im gonna fill up a long PVC pipe with rod finish dip in the blank, let it dry and repeat. Yeah right, then I'll be begging for Plug money, and stealing guides off of other people rods.

Factory style - biggrin.gif. I should've specified - that's how they put the finish on the blank itself - for the guides they do it the same way as you do. My bad.

Permagloss - is a low build finish and will probably take 30 thin coats to get the guides coated. (right Al - Crytstal Coat). It is mainly used by guys refinishing rods, and by fly guys (or anyone else) who want to get a low build finish.

I use Classic Coat over a primary coat of Duraglos LS Supreme and love it. That duraglos you're using - which one is it - 2000, Supreme, or actual Duraglos LS?? Should'nt be using an alcohol torch with Supreme of 2000.

Flex Coat is probably what most rod manufactures use on their factory rods (I think there is one who uses Classic - Lami maybe???) There are a lot of guys who use it with great results, just need your torch to burst bubbles. Classic and Amtak fall into this same category - Hi-build finsihes ideal for finishing a guide on a SW rod. Although they are Hi-build finishes, I strongly suggest applying as little as possible so that it levels perfectly. I know you've got the time to put a few coats on, so don't be in such a rush (like me)

Your post makes me feel better though, I thought I had the market cornered for lumpy finishes. At least I'm not alone. You thought you were finsihed hearing from me for the day. Yeah, I am long winded.

Billy

Permagloss is a whole different animal then what you may be use to.It contains a number of hot solvents and should only be used in a very open environment, avoid contact with skin,dries extremely rapidly,does a good job on finishing blanks as Billy said would need multiple coats,would highly recommend practicing more with your current finish or try some other brands,the biggest key to getting a desirable finish is to establish a system that works for you and continue using it.This does not mean you shouldn't try a new finish just that you need to develop a way that will work for you consistently.

John

my house is dusty man,,wife does crafts..I'm always sawing wood somewhere in the house(carpenter).Forced hot air..yikes talk about bumpy finishes. I had to build a coffin to have a controled enviorment while finishing . Expands to 15' long , Heated, (christmas lights big house ones) vented top one side, bottom other, covered with womens nylon, roller blade wheels to hold blank,while being spun my rotiserie motor mounted on end..finally mint factory finish in this dusty house..

Tagger,

Congratulations, you just found the secret for a top-notch professional finish. I have my dry-box twelve years now and I horsetraded with a carpenter friend who built it for me for two boat rods.

Al G.

trial and a lot of errors Al thanks ..BM you kidding still doing the shingles on my house (15yrs.) that would cost you every spot u got man and your 1083's to...BUBBA !!!!

hi guys

how does the drying box work?

do you chuck up in the box and

put your finish on or elsewhere

and move to box?

how about a small heat element

like in a gun safe?

this sounds like a good home project.

ty WR

Yes ,,wharf rat..set it up in the pre heated box, apply finish as she spins and cover, so the wet finish has no chance of airbourne stuff landing in it. I made mine out 1/2 AC plywood 8' and strapping (cheap). nice clean ply inside with strapping running lengthwise to make corners ouside.another 8' box with no strapping corners just slides inside making it expandable.I used xmas lights for heat because I was worried about flammable finishes and heating elements (big bomb)..before this i was picking dog hairs out of my finish...nice,, hope this helps ask Al for more he helped me tons.. tips.