Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wharf Rat

pencil rod set-up

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

hi

i have a red lami SSB 136 2F(3-5oz.)i'm

going to build for pencil poppers this fall.

anybody have this one?whats the set up?

will use a VS 200 or 5000 sustain with braid.

leaning toward the VS.

thanks for any help

john WR

That's one of the most famous pencil popping blanks there are. I'm making one for this fall season too. Mines a honey (e-glass) but sounds like you have an s-glass one. I have a few of those and they are really great. The layout is no different from any other rod, so do your homework on guide spacing and grip length and you'll be all set.

I have been using Quick Grip for my grips (leave a smooth space where the reel goes) and taping the reel on with strips of bicycle inner tube. I like Fuji Sic guides for my stuff, but for a budget, the Alconite is a great deal and has the same frame and alloy.

You should be able to get away with 5 guides on that blank, but might find you need 6. Depends on your layout.

Have fun with that rod! icon14.gif

I think 3-5 is a little generous for the 2F.If U plan on throwin 3 oz.poppers U might be dissapointed.U'll have to wait for the rod to load like a Half hr. wink.gif to cast it.It'll handle 5 oz. without breaking just won't throw real far.

I've built three of those S glass 2F's. Two of which I've fished while the third went to a buddy. One at full length has 6 guides starting off with a BHVLG 40 HH then a BSVLG 30 followed by BLVLG single foots at 25 20 16 12 with a 12 tip (14 tube size). This is a very flexible rod and bends right into the butt so it benefits from six guides. The second rod is 10-4 with the 12 inches taken off the butt. It has BMNAG alconites 40 25 20 16 12 again with a 12 tip.

The third (buddy's rod)was set up like #1 but was shortened by six inches from the butt and used five guides.

They all work very, very well with braid. If you like pencils you will like this rod. Handles those big 3 and 1/2 ounce pencils with ease and it's also very easy to load so it can also toss some pretty lite stuff too.

I use a VS 300 with Whiplash 50 0n the full size rod and a VS 200 on the shorter one.

My blanks were all from the same lot and were very consistant. You should do a static deflection test on yours to try to get the guide spacing right. I'll post my spacing if you'd like but yours might be a bit different.

Steve

[ 08-16-2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Steve M ]

hi

thanks for the replys guys

i like the idea of the single foots on it,i

like a lite top end.think i'll give it a shot.

i always start with the formula in the clem-

mens book and go from there.do some casts and

adjust as needed.always been close with it when

the gathering guide is right.

i'm guessing you never want to trim the tip

on this one.

i'll post again when i finish it

thanks again

john

I've got the same reaction as NIB, my 136 2F (and from the color description, it sounds like this is another old S-glass) would not be happy with three ounces. Sweet spot is probably 1 1/2, and beyond two, you'll bend the rod double to load it.