Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary T

fuji concept system

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Gary,

I have used the Concept system but with the standard Fuji guides, since I believe the Concept guides would not stand the abuse I put my tackle through.

What application are you considering using these guides for?

Al

Gary,

The blank is rated from 3/4-2 ounces and the reel is for 12-15 lb test. Will you be using mono or braid?

I would go with the Fuji BHVLG 40HH stripper, then a 30, 25, 20, 16 and 12. I would recommend an SIC PST tip. You could also do the same in SIC if you want to spend the extra bucks.

Another viable option is the Fuji single foot high-frame spinning guides, YSG or YLG.

Sizes 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 + tip.

Al

The best thing I have yet seen on explaining the new concept system was in the July/August issue of Rodmaker. By far the best overall view of what it is and how to set it up. I tried it on a 9' plugging rod on an OutCast blank and it is fantastic. I had tried it previously but didn't get it right until this one and the article really helped me understand how to do it. I give the new concept system two thumbs up and won't go back to the old way ever again. It's lighter and casts better by a noticeable margin. And no you don't have to use the special concept guides if you can achieve the overall concept with whatever guides you want to use.

Al,I will use mono. I'd like to go with the set-up that would give me the greatest casting distance [naturally]. What would you recommend for spacing and guide size if I went tne concept route.

Gary and Bass,

The three most important things to consider when setting up a surf spinning rod are the following:

- Proper spining of the blank

- Butt Length and position of the reelseat

- Position of the stripper guide

Spining of the rod is easily accomplished. There have been many posts dealing with how to do this. For maximum casting distance I would put the spine on the bottom (180 degree axix) and the guides on the same side.

The butt length and reelseat position are determined by your arm length and casting style. Typically the leading edge of the reelseat will be from 25-28 inches from the butt of the rod.

The position of the stripper guide is determined by the diameter of the face of the reel you will be using, it's distance off the blank and the type line you will be using. Since the line on a spinning reel comes off in loops, the stiffness of the line and the diameter of the spool will determine the size of the loops coming off the reel. You want to position the stripper guide such that it will not choke down the line too quickly or allow the loops of the line to hit the blank. Depending on the type of stripper guide and the height of the ring off the blank will be a factor in its placement.

Start with the stripper guide 42 inches from the face of the spool. Tape on the guide and test cast the rod. Move the stripper guide until you are consistently hitting a good distance.

The positioning of the rest of the guides will be determined by a stress distribution test. If you want to go to the concept system then tape on more guides and test cast it.

Al G.

I'm sure Al's suggestions are good, but that's not how the new concept system works. The spacing is determined by the upsweep of the reel and where the line, coming in a direct line from the spool center will intersect the rod blank. At that point you locate the very smallest possible guide that will pass the line and run those on out for the remainder of the tip section. The guides between the reel and the intersection point are sized both height wise and diameter wise to allow the line to follow that angle to the intersection point without deviating.

You can see this sort of thing on Fuji's web site but I found it confusing and poorly explained there. The magazine had a much explanation with diagrams and photos showing exactly how to set this up. Sorry if I didn't explain it very well, I'm not a writer. But it is pretty easy and quick to do and really, really, really works better than anything else out there.

I wanted to follow up and say that I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here and there are many good ways to set up a guide set for a spinning rod. But as far as the Fuji new concept system goes, the magazine article was the very best explantion I have seen so far. If you do it the way they outlined it, you will not be disappointed. It has been my experience that the people who have not liked the new concept system did not set it up properly to begin with.

I am going to check with the publisher and see if he would mind if I copied the article and sent it to any interested rod builders. I was told earlier by one of the component suppliers that Fuji may be putting it on their web site but have not seen it there yet. My email is listed here so if you want it I'll try to get it. Thanks.

Al and Mac, Thanks for the good advice. I'm gonna do a concept set on a spare 1087 blank I have down the basement then compare it to a rod that I built on the same blank using a mor traditional spinning set. Reel, line and blank will be identical. I'll post the results. Thanks again for all the good advice. Gary

I would rather that our readers do not copy and distribute articles from RodMaker. This is standard operating policy for most publications for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Any of you who are interested in learning the exact set-up of the New Guide Concept System please contact me directly and I'll see that you get the necessary information. Thanks.

....................................... ...