Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

RE: Lami "Tri-Flex" Blanks

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

OK, so I'm excited about soaking up as much knowledge and information as possible regarding my forray (sp?) into rod building. I have seen referenced made to many different blanks for different purposes and am wading through the past posts to come up with a tentative list of rods for this winter/springtime. There are a damn lot of choices out there!!

Could someone explain these new Lami "trif-flex" rods and what advantages/disadvantages they offer? I'm thinking along the lines of a 9 or 10' conventional for 1.5-4 (primarily eeling and throwing bucktails). I have a list of rods from my research, but would like to find out where the tri-flex fits into this picture.

Just a tad bit anxious and excited to get started.... wink.gif

Joe,

The Lami Tri-flex series is a composite of graphite and fiberglass. What makes the Lami differnt from other manufacturers composite series is the tri-wall construction. There is an inner layer of graphite, a layer of fiberglass and a final layer of graphite. The final layer of graphite is determined by the specific application and the action required of the finished rod.

While composite blanks have been around for some years, the blanks from Lamiglas, Calstar and Seeker really raised the bar on performance.

For your application the Lami CSB1201L is probably the composite blank you are looking for.

Al

Like Al said, composites have been around for years. 25 years ago, there were Ugly Sticks, Contenders, and Sabre Grafast. All were some variation of graphite in the butt and fiberglass in the tip. The manufacturers that Al mentions seem to have shifted towards more graphite in the tip and more fiberglass in the butt. I'm not sure which is better, probably each works better for different applications.