Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

What butt length for Lami/Rainshadow 1502MH?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know all the stick it under your arm stuff, but it also seems that some have longer butt lengths than that when they are building heavers. I take it you can always "choke up" with the lower hand as well if you didn't need the whole thing for adequate leverage. What how long are the butts on your 12~13 foot rods?

On my big heavers(Lami 1502, Outcast) the butts are 29" to the reel seat. I like the butt to reach the center of my chest when I stick my arm out to my side(thumb on spool). That dont sound like it makes much sense, but thats what I do. Im 6'2" 195#.

Adam

Really is personal preference.. I'm only 5'10 and my 1502 is right at 29" also... I have another rod that is nearly 32 inches.. I like it better honestly, for casting, but on the retrieve the extra length becomes a pain...

great blank, by the way..

FYI, I just built a Rainshadow 1502F heaver. I was assuming that it was identical to the Lami 1502, but it's not. The butt section is considerably thicker and takes a 26 reel seat. Also it seems to be a slightly faster tip section.

It throws nice and seems to fight a fish okay, however, I haven't caught a citation size fish on it yet so who knows.

I will probably be selling it soon.

Especially with the longer rods and heavers you need the extra leverage to cast better . I use the "Place rod butt in center of chest and reach out and grip blank" to measure mine . This gives me a 36" butt to seat section which works for me (5'11" and no gorilla arms )