Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillH

Glass tog rods

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So what's the deal with 'em? I know TimS likes and uses 'em.

On last Saturday's Tog Patrick, a few with armed with them did better. I hacked that day only redface.gif only small keeper, and bunch of shorts. It was an off day for me. Noticed that day, the bite was wierd, seemed like the guys and gal with the fast light tip graphites or the GLAss felt the bite better and landed more and better fish.

EdJ showed me what he was doing, and I have my own theories.

Like to hear yours...Gotta old Lami spiral honey

believe it was a SB114M or a MB114M that was trimed to 9' off the tip now aboout 10/64 and was used for throwin' big wooded pikies and metal off the beach...Been eyeing it up, already cut a foot off the butt, ready to cut the guides, put new tape and reel seat on, new guides, tip...BUT when try suspending a 12oz sinker from a line the tip really dips about 5-6"...Thinks its a little slow and soft for toggin' rolleyes.gif But it will definitely bounce a decent fish from the junk.

I don't know how Tim or Ed uses heavier lead with those Glass rods cut to only a 10 tip, but they do well enough to justify not cutting any more off the tip. If you cut it to a 12 tip, it will "handle" 10 & 12oz though.

Soft tipped rods are the way to go for Tog, imo. WHen the fish are backing off after teh initial bite, imo a lot of times I think they feel the rod tip. With a soft tip rod, they don't feel much, if anything, and finish the bite.

This is why I do not like certain rods/blanks. They are light & stiff and you can feel everything, graphite is more sensitive than glass - but the fish feel it too. And if you fish properly you don't need the rod tip to bounce to know you have a fish, so the whole sensitivity thing for Tog is overblown, imo.

Billy, are your rods composite or graphite with fast light tips?

I totally agree with what you say, because with those kinda bites I usually hack unless, me feels the nudge and immediately lower my tip a bit.

Fishing with St Croix off the rack Musky stics, but on calm days, or really rough days 4+ foot days on PB's seemed to be off my game, and usually

mess up. frown.gif

THE certain rods/blanks I don't like are specifically the Musky St. Croix's. I'm also not a fan of the Lmai CGBTxx1MH's. Granted, people do catch lots of fish with them but they just aren't for me.

I have a few blanks I use, composites + an all graphite which I officially love. The Composites are Calstar 800L's cut a little from the tip & butt. I have a Lami CGBT781ML which I had to cut 4" from teh tip & extend it 18" to get teh rod I want. I also love this rod, but the piece I extended it with was extremely heavy.

I don't like sounding like a salesman, but the graphite blank I used to make my Blackfish rod is perfect. I've mentioned it a few times, it's a GUSA 80 Mega Mag trimmed a bit from tip/butt to get the action I want. Handles 12oz max, but better with 8&10oz, tip is soft, but when you have a fish (or 2 - HaHa) on the rod has a deep bend very similar to the glass rods, but not into the handle. The one problem is that it's all graphite and there is a chance it might break when hung up or swinging a fish. I did swing a fish 9-ish yesterday, and barely got it up over teh rail, won't do that again, but I have swung 8's without much of a problem.