Sudsy

Vintage "down at the beach" photos

Rate this topic

1,558 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by squidlips View Post

Midget car racing was the biggest sport in America during the mid 1930's. Ten years later it was over and most of the venues had been destroyed.

We still got Wall even though the owners tried mightily to get the zoning of the property changed so they could sell it to developers.  Thankfully that stalled.  For now.

Buds Grave

Elberon before the jetties

The Circuit

Asbury Park before the invention of beach towels. The original Convention Hall in the background

If anyone has anymore of these type of pictures, please post them.

It's really amazing to see these snapshots for a younger person like myself.

Asbury Monte Carlo pool now the Senior Citizens hi rise at the base of Deal Lake

At the time advertised as the worlds largest salt water pool

Remember when "P-u-s-s-y" Russo got whacked? (had to get around the censor)

We were just kids on the beach drinking beers the night that happened. All of a sudden police came running from every direction, we thought they were coming for us for the beers. Questioned the heck out of us then told us to go home. Found out next day about the murder.

Condo tower sits on the site now

102.7 WNEW Concert on the Asbury Park beach (when WNEW was the station all the cool kids listened to)

Allenhurst public pool

It's a huge shame that all the public pools along the beach (there were quite a few) are gone :(

Asbury Monte Carlo pool now the Senior Citizens hi rise at the base of Deal Lake

At the time advertised as the worlds largest salt water pool

I would have liked to have seen this. There was apparently a tunnel which ran under the road to the beach too in this area. AP in it's prime looked like an amazing place to be.

No that was done by either CharlieK or 8ball right after they consulted for Izaak Walton writing The Compleat Angler

And got paid well for doing it !- OH by the way I hear your Book "Catching Giant Bluefish" is in reprint 93:shock:.

I would have liked to have seen this. There was apparently a tunnel which ran under the road to the beach too in this area. AP in it's prime looked like an amazing place to be.

The tunnel under the road was in Long Branch, after the pool was gone the tunnel remained - we used to use it to get past the beach badge checkers :laugh:

@ Pete. 1000

At the turn of the century on the Sea Bright side of the base of the Highlands bridge was a small amusement park with a roller coaster, merry go round, baseball field, and outdoor movies and dancing. Known as Highlands Beach - not even a memory now

Check out the Sea Bright wall when it was made of wood

The reason for the rope going out in the water was for the ladies to hold onto, kinda hard to swim with those big heavy outfits they then called bathing suits

This picture is from Asbury park but shows the swimming rope

I grew up in Hazlet. I had many forts in the woods around Jim's Burger Haven. It was Burger Chef before Jim's. Use to bike to NATCO lake and crab and fish for eels. Biggest crabs and eels you ever saw. On the way back we would have a milk shake at Jim's . A real milk shake that was actually blended!