Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crashq

Reel Seat Spacing

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

What is the best way to determine the reel seat spacing on a light (up to 2 oz) surf rod? I have been lucky that factory spacings are normally perfect (it must be the average length arms) but for modified blanks I am at a loss. The one I am building now is a spinner, but if it is different for casting rods, tha would also be appreciated.

Wherever it's comfortable for you, that's where it should be. Slide the seat over the blank and move it around till it feels perfect to you.

I used to think about arm length, and all that stuff, but now I'm more concerned with the balance of the rod, and having had some problems with my elbow from surf casting, I decided to build a rod with a slightly butt heavy configuration. I weighed all my guides and components on a gram scale, and then took pieces of lead which weighed the same amounts as the components, and taped them to the blank at the appropriate spots. Then I grabbed the rod and held it where I imagined I wanted the fore grip. I was pretty close with where I wanted everything, but if it was a little tip heavy, I just would've moved the reel seat location a little higher on the rod. I'd much rather have the balance right by changing the location of the seat than having to weight the blank afterwards. Using the lead and tape allows you to do all your experimentation before you build anything.