Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gooner pete

removing the paint from a carbon fibre rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I hope that someone can help me. I am going to renovate a carbon fibre fly rod and I would like to remove the horrible blue finish from the blank before rewrapping it and fitting new rings, what is the best and safest way to remove the colour please? I think it is just painted on but when I went to my local motor accessory shop for Nitromors paint remover the label on the tin said not to use it on glass fibre and I am concerned that this product might also harm carbon fibre, advice please.

Thanks

I used Peel Away stripper on my old Grizzley/Fenwick glass rod and it worked great. I picked it up at West marine where it's sold for stripping fiberglass boats.

If you go this route be aware that it will remove the gloss finish as well. I used Gudebrod Speed Coat Rod Restorer to regloss it - BAD IDEA mad.gif I'm pretty sure all the stuff is, is polyurathane. It started peeling off within a few trips.

Billy40 and others recomended Permagloss. If I were to do it again that's what I'd use.

Rubbing compound will also remove the finish just use a fine compound on a terry cloth rag and take it easy.

Blue Coral extra fine compound can also be used to turn a matte blank glossy and remove small finish blemishes from glossy blanks.

Try the Blue Coral it may polish up the rod to where you may like the finish again.

Remember to clean the blank afterwards before wrapping.