Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qhg

Heat-shrink tubing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al,

You have suggested using heat-shrink tubing to bridge the reel seat with cork tape.

I am interested in getting this stuff in clear, rather than black. On www.mcmaster.com they sell all sorts of materials, although The PVC only comes in black. The ohters come in lots of colors plus clear.

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)

Polyolefin- Thin Wall

Polyolefin- Thick Wall

Polyolefin- Thin Wall (EMI/RFI)

Neoprene Rubber

Viton Rubber

Food Grade

Teflon- Low Shrink

Teflon- Medium Shrink (Standard)

Teflon- High Shrink

Teflon- Moisture Proof

Do you know Polyolefin would work as well?

Thanks,

Quintin

ghg, did you ever get the heat shrink tubing that you were talking about. If so which one did you get. I want to use it also but not sure of which one to use. I did go to the electric store and pickup some up but it seams to thick to use (wall thinkness). I will be using it on a surf pole. My email is MJPonticel@aol.com Thanks Mike

Q,

I checked out the Mcmaster catalog. The ideal properties of the tubing for this application should be the following:

- Reasonably flexible

- Good abrasion resistance

If you are interested in clear tubing then I would try the Polyolefin thin wall tubing in the 48-inch length to see how it will work.

Al

If you guys are interested in the clear shrink tubing, you should go to your local radio control hobby store and pick up the shrink tubing they use for making battery packs for radio controlled cars. They usually sell them by the foot and comes flat off a roll. Place it on your grips where you want them and use a low heat flame or hair dryer and apply even heat to get rid of the crease. Give it a try and let me know how things turn out.

Hey, anyone know if this is the same stuff Altenkirch's (sp?) uses in Hampton Bays, NY. It is black and they apply it over cork tape. Has a nice non-slick feel to it, but cant comment on it if wet. It is not textured sort of feels like smooth finish bicycle tires. Thanks for any help.

JC

I've had quick grip on my rods for 5 years now and they still looks like new even after all the hard fishing and abuse I give it. I got a piece of black electrical heat shrink tubing to try out because the stuff sure looks the same to me. Haven't gotten around to building the stick for it though. The smooth finish is not slippery and it grips even better when wet.