bnz

Penn Torque 5 handle knob solutions...

49 posts in this topic

If you are like me youo're only complaint with the TRQ5S is the handle knob. While it is very functional, it is not as comfortable in the hand as that of my TRQ7S reels. I've come up with two solutions to fix this, either replace the knob with one from the TRQS7, or add a little more bling to the reel and get a power ball knob.

[img=

First you pop off the cap on the knob and unscrew it using a torx head:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/bnznet/Rigging/IMG_1298_zpse2beb940.jpg]

Then break out the dremel and using a diamond wheel cut off the shaft:

[img=

Using a 3/16" drill bit drill a hole through the end of the handle and ream it out a little more with the bit. Then use a bench vice and press the knob into the hole you just drilled, screw it on, and your done. The finished product:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/bnznet/Rigging/IMG_1302_zps59911d8b.jpg]

I'm really enjoying my bailless torque 5, but the handle knob like you said is not great. I'm thinking of ordering the knob from the torque 7. Is it just a straight swap out? I'd rather not have to do any drilling on the reel. Thanks for any input.

I'm really enjoying my bailless torque 5, but the handle knob like you said is not great. I'm thinking of ordering the knob from the torque 7. Is it just a straight swap out? I'd rather not have to do any drilling on the reel. Thanks for any input.

acrylic,

The TS5 and TS7 handle knobs are interchangeable. If you send your reel in for service just note on the repair form you would like the TS7 knob installed on the reel.

tony

As Tony said they are interchangeable. A very easy swap out and the TRQ7S knob feels much better in the hand. I just chose to go the way of added bling this time. :D

Besides the "Bling" factor bnz.....how has your handle conversion held up in actual use...?

All good...?

Interested party here cause I got one coming my way...soon I hope.

Looks very nice...!!!

Mahalos,

Besides the "Bling" factor bnz.....how has your handle conversion held up in actual use...?

All good...?

Interested party here cause I got one coming my way...soon I hope.

Looks very nice...!!!

Mahalos,

Deep, so far so good. I use mine a lot for speed/vertical jigging and every once in a while will have to re-tighten the screw that holds it on. If I was just bait fishing or throwing lures with it I don't think I'd have to do anything to it. So far I'm really liking it. These knobs are very free spinning.

acrylic,

The TS5 and TS7 handle knobs are interchangeable. If you send your reel in for service just note on the repair form you would like the TS7 knob installed on the reel.

tony

This is good to know. :cool:

acrylic,

tony

Hi,

Will the Torque II knobs fit the Original Torque?

The knobs will not interchange but the entire handle assembly will.

tony

So I could order the Arm assembly for a TRQ5?  What would that cost and where would I order it at?

The knobs will not interchange but the entire handle assembly will.

tony

Hi,

Called to see if I could order this and it is not available for order.  The folks at Penn said to get in touch with you.

Tag!  You're it!

So I could order the Arm assembly for a TRQ5?  What would that cost and where would I order it at?

Hi,

Called to see if I could order this and it is not available for order.  The folks at Penn said to get in touch with you.

Tag!  You're it!

I will get back to you on a price, however we don't have any for sale as spare parts yet.  I will update this thread when they become available.

tony