Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

Beginner planning

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

OK, So I now have my summer reading. The mail man delivered Tom Kirkman's "rod-building guide" and Dale Clemens "Advanced custom rod building" yesterday. I read half of Tom Kirkman's book last night (I have seen he actually has posted in this forum in the past). I hope to start building my first rod by late August when my summer schedule slows down and I have done all my research.

For my first rod I hope to build a 9' plugging rod that is rated 1-4 oz for throwing larger plugs, jigs, eels and tin with a sweet spot around 2 1/2- 3 oz. For blanks I have been looking at the Lami XRA 1084 and the Rainshadow SU1087. Both are simmilarly rated, I am leaning towards the rainshadow due to it being a littel easier on the wallet, and rainshadows seem to get good reviews here. If any one can pass on info on either of these blanks it would greatly help my decision making process.

Also any tips on how to get started, and suppliers where components can be purchased would be a greatly appreciated.

Springer

I've built and fished both the 1084 and 1087. The RS blank is very nice for the price and handles the lower end of your desired range well. The XRA is more capable at the higher end and does just fine with the light stuff. Each represents exceptional value for the money invested.

Tom Kirkman's rodbuilding site has some good folks as advertisers and you might also want to take a look at C&G Tackle Outlet which is essentially the successor to Clemens. Run by Dick French who is also seen here on occaision.

Stripers on Line has good deals on the XRA blanks SOL on line store

Rules don't permit posting links but Google will produce desired results.

Steve

[ 07-01-2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Steve M ]