Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing bum wannabe

Abu 6500 / Batson 1088

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have seen a few postings with 6500s being used on conventionally set up 9' or longer rods with 1-4 oz ratings. Being conventional I am assuming ABUs are being described. I have been using various ABU 6000-6500s for 20 years and love them.

I am looking for a 9' rod for 2-3oz plugs from the boat and from the rocks, including the Canal.

Would the ABU6500 match well with the Batson 1088? Anyone have this combo? What are you using for line on the ABU (test, yardage, type), and what are you using the rod for?

Thanks

It's a match made in heaven.

I have a Sabre 1088 which is virtually identical to the Batson. I switch between a Calcutta 400 and an Abu BG 6500 on it. I like the Calcutta for eels due to the thumb bar freespool---easier to feed line if they're hitting half-heartedly.

50# Whiplash on the Calcutta, 65 on the Abu because I use it for jetty bucktailing. Plus the Abu holds a full 300 yards of the 65, the Calcutta doesn't.

I have the 1088 also.

Great eel stick and plugs in that range. I started with the 7000C too big, then the penn 940 too small and now leave my 6500C3 on it. I'm still using mono.

get the matte clear, great finish

If you are looking for 10ft the 1208 is hard to beat and does match up with the 7000C smile.gif

I am already planning to assemble a 1208 conventional with an ABU7000. I also have a blackie" Newell 235F that could go on it for Jigging.

I am trying to decide if I should also put together a 1088 with an 6500C3 as well. I like shorter rods that work out of the boat or on the rocks of a jetty or 4th cliff. I love 6500s. Great control, effortless to cast.

WorcBoy, what are using for line, test and capacity? I like mono better for casting plugs. My expeience with briad so far is that it has cost me a Gibbs Polaris and a Canal Special.

What passes for Sabre blanks these days are sold under their parent company label, Pacific Bay. They're a far cry from the original Sabre IGSC blanks.

Go with the Batsons. The closest source to Brockton is probably CMS Enterprises in New Bedford, or you can PM me for another mail-order/internet source.

I think CMS carries Pac Bay, Batson and All Star blanks so you can ceiling-poke all 3.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 12-24-2002).]