Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TACKLE JUNKIE

The search is down so I have to ask about these guides.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I notice a lot of rods coming with guides that don't have a seperate aluminium oxide ring inside the frame. I thought it was just on the el cheapo rods and that they were junk. But I see Fenwick is using them on thier rods, even thier high end models. What is the story with these guides? Fenwick calls them SS304 hard chromium plated stainless steel guides. Would you buy a rod with them on it or put them on a rod your building? How do they stand up to salt water? Are they just doing it to save money?Thank-you in advance.

Saving money, or rather making more money. Also they are less problematic, ie. impact injuries and rings falling out of lower quality guides.

Fuji Alconite as the minimum and Fuji Sic for the standard.

What are the best guides that Fuji offers?

Are they the sic ones? I know there are other manufacturers, are there any out there that make a better qualoty guide than Fuji? Fuji seems to be the de-facto standard.

Fuji SIC are the best, then Fuji Alconite. The other manufacturers offer bells and whistles with colors that are no harder than hard chrome, just a bunch of noise and whistle blowing. Go with the best.

Fuji makes the best ring guide out there.

There top line guides are the titanium framed gold cermet ring guides. They are really expensive, but the do not corrode at all and the rings are about twice as hard as the Sic. However, gold cermet being harder is beyond spec big time. It might be fun to hunt squirrel with a Weatherby 300 but a 22 is more than enough. That being said, I do like those cermet guides. Beware that they only go up to a 30 mm ring while the Sic goes to a 40 high frame.

Hi Dick! smile.gifHappyWave.gif