Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeysKid

XRA 1205 VS. XRA 1204

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Ive been pondering which rod to put on an Abu 6501 c4 for a couple weeks now..., its driven me nuts!! looks like ive narrowed it down to two...I think...

Im looking to use it to throw wood or jigs mainly in the 1 1/2--3 1/2oz. range. Most of the time will be 2-3oz....Maybe occasionaly a 4oz. pikie..tops. I also looked at a factory XCRA 1322 but decided that 11' was just to much to be comfortable with all day long 4x's a week... Ive never built a rod before so I dont know what im getting into, but im thinking that the 1205 is probaly the best choice for what I wanna do? The only advantage i can see right now with the 1204 is that it is available already built and I could have it tommorow... Just wanna see what everyones opionions are on the actions of these rods, sweet spots, and what kinda materials ive gotta get to possibly build this one up. Thanks a bunch!

If you're gonna throw the 4 oz pikie more often than a 7/8 oz Bomber, go with the 1205.

I wouldn't throw 4 on a rod rated for 2-1/2 at the top. I'll push it to 3 but that's my upper limit on the 1204.

If 2-3 is what you throw the most, that's another plus for the 1205.

Thanks for the reply, biggrin.gif i'll be using 2-3 mostly, i save the smaller stuff for my spinning gear...

What do you guys think about cutting the butt down on a XRA 1322...just sounds like it would be a bit easier than building one from the ground up. Cut it, cap it and reposition the reel seat? confused.gif Anybody out there give it a try?

Man, i think to much... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I've toyed with the idea of chopping a foot off the butt of a 1322 to see if I'd wind up with something with more balls than a 1204 but not as stiff as a 1205.

But I've never had the guts to do it. At $200-$250 for the blank, it would be an expensive experiment if it didn't work out eek.gif

You'd probably be better off getting the blank, trimming the butt and building it from scratch rather than getting a factory 11 and chopping the butt---you'll have to re-build most of the rod anyway--new foregrip, butt grip, reposition the seat, reposition most of the lower guides.

You definitely do not want to strip and rebuild a factory rod. If you are going to do it , its about a third the work to start with a new blank rather than built rod. Unless you are fairly expert , you should be careful about cutting blanks.

Ditch,

I have a 1322 that I cut from both ends... about 3 inchs uptop and 7-8 inchs on the butt.. the result is a rod with a more parabollic feel than the 1205, more balls than the 1205... It can throw 2 oz plugs ok... It can also easily throw a chunk and 8 oz's... I would imagine if you cut a foot off of it, it would fall somewhere between a 1204 and 1205. I think we need that anyway... 1204 and a half...

Ill bring to the next fling incase I see you...

BC

Thanks for the all the replys fellas! Im going to grab a factory 1204 for now and take it easy with it...In a month or so I'll grab the 1205 blank and build that bad boy! biggrin.gif Thanks again.