Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Building rod for a buddy...help me out?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Building a GLB 841M as a spinning rod for a buddy of mine. He would lke to be able to have the rod serve as double-duty for casting to schoolies and blues, as well as his back-bay fluking rod.

Question: Would you guys use single or double foot guides? I've done two spinners, both with single foots, those these are going to be used exclusively as a casting stick. With his desire to also be able to bottom fish, I'm not sure if the single footed guides woul dbe a better option that the more traditional double footed ones.

Thanks.

The major disadvantage to single foot guides is they are are easily bent. Thus, if the rod going to see a lot of use, go with the doubles.

Your mileage may vary,

gad

GLB 841M heart.gif

I built 2 on the same blank. Both double foot. Doesnt add much additional weight. Handles 12# blues in a jiffy, and fun with the schoolies as well.

My favorite rod for the kayak, north shore LI from the surf.

I used the guidelines in an old issue of the LI fisherman.

Tom

JoeB, if it helps, the 7 foot Lami surf series factory spinning rod is built on this blank..

My 2 cents is to go with double foot guides, this blank is heavy/stiff enough that they won't hurt the action..

Alex

Handles 12# blues in a jiffy

If that's the case, I'd be hesitant to use the single foot Concept/fly guides, BLAG, BUNAG (Alconite frames). I wouldn't hesitate to use BYAG's though - however, as GW states they are not a good choice if you are going to beat teh rod up. I also would stray from using teh single foots on someone else's rod, so I guess I'm saying go with BMNAG's.

[ 03-24-2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Billy 40 ]

however, as GW states they are not a good choice if you are going to beat teh rod up.

If you mean pond the rod of a jetty, then no. wink.gif He's almost exclusively a boat fisherman. I drag him kicking and screaming intot eh surf only a few times a year. This rod will ONLY be used while floating on fiberglass. biggrin.gif

The more I think about it, the more I say I wouldn't use the single foot Y frame. The line seems to tangle on those a heck of a lot more than double footers.

Do yourself a favor, but a set of BYAG's, and a set of BMNAG's. It'll probably cost you an extra $20, make your friend pay. See which ones you like, then put the BMNAG's on there. lol.