Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reebok

Help... fuji reel seat defective?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a problem with a fuji reel seat and wonder if anyone can help with what I should do.

The problem is that no matter how hard I torque it down, after casting for a short while the reel rotates on the rod, getting almost perpendicular to the guides.

It's a custom rod and I use a Penn 6500SS, which isn't an unusual reel.

Is this a common problem? Can I do something short of replacing it? If it must be replaced, is that a big deal?

Thanks!

What kind of reel seat? What exactly are you torquing down? Sonds like your builder might be looking for a syringe. Speaking of which, I need one myself. I didn't get a good bond on a cork insert, and need to insert some glue with a syringe. Anyone know where I can get one without lookin glike ajunkie?

Oops, I must not have been too clear. The reel seat itself doesn't turn... it's glued down fine. The reel turns within the seat. I looked closely at it once and it seems the "hood", or whatever you call the parts that slide over the reel foot, distort if you push the reel to the side. When I cast the reel points more sideways to the horizon than straight up, and I guess that's where the sideways force is coming from. Eventually the reel simply works it's way into the cockeyed, sideways position no matter how hard I screw down on the reel seat.

So I think the reel seat is defective. Or maybe it's too big for the reel, but it is a standard reel, not a strange one that might have a thin foot. It's a Penn 6500SS.

I thought I would ask the board about it. Is this a common problem? Is there a usual fix? If I have to put a new seat on there, is that a big job?

There's some - but not much - side to side play within the hoods, but not enogh to let the reel go 90 degrees off axis. A hugely over-sized seat may have a lot of play for a 6500 sized reel though; what size is installed on your rod? The number (20, 22, 24, etc.) in mm should be on there somewhere. Are the hoods loose and moving about the main body of the reel seat? One should be firmly fixed, and the other should maintain it's alignment on the seat's keyway slot as it moves to tighten and loosen its grip on the reel foot.

I just checked it out. It's a DPS 22. And the reel is twisted right now from the last time out. It's not 90 but more like 45 degrees, but that's still not good.

Nothing on the reel seat is loose or twisted. It appears to be just as it should be, even the hoods.

EXCEPT that the foot of the reel has pushed under the rings to the side of the elevated hood part where it belongs. And the plastic or graphite rings have bent out to allow that.

Because the rings are giving way and allowing the reel foot to slide under, I thought it was defective. Or too big? Should the rings be bending like that?

A 22 is a pretty fair sized reel seat maybe the foot of the reel is a little too small for it to snug down properly. To get through the rest of the fall I would probably throw a few wraps of electrical tape around each end of the reel foot and see If I could get a better fit into the reel seat.

Yep.

What Kml said.

And that will probably be your permanent solution since loading a reel seat from the butt requires a larger seat anyway.

Tape is a fisherman and rod builders best friend.