Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DPR

Breakaway blanks

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for some opinions on 2 of Breakaways blanks: BGSW1418 and BGSW1509

I have the first and am in the process of building on the second. I can't say anything bad about the first but was just wondering what some other opinions were.

Thanks, Kevin

There was a thread earlier in the week on the main forum about the second blank. Consensus was that it's the best fishing heaver going, if you can load it.

I have one of each and they are superb rods. The 1509 is very specialied though; it is designed for casting heavy leads (6-10 oz) a long ways and it takes some skill (and strength) to use properly. It is also fairly heavy and many people hate to hold it in their hands for long periods of time. However, for casting 8 and bait, few rods, if any, come close.

Unless you expect to be casting 8 oz of lead regularly, I recommend the 1418. It is my favorite big rod because of its light weight, power, and versatility.

It has plenty of power and will cast 6 and bait a long ways. It also makes a great plugging rod with lures from 3-6 oz. It has more a parabolic action than the other breakaways which makes it a pleasure to fight fish with. It reminds me of an improved version of the Lami GSB 1322M but with much more power.

I am told that it will also cast 8 and bait. I just have't tried it.

Hope this helps.

Duckwump

You said it! We are listening. The 11'9" will throw 8 and bait with no problem. But with a big wind I just can't get the distance I want. Hopefully the 12'6" will do the trick.

All star is coming out with their new 12-3. It is an extended version of the 11-9. Just talked with Nick Myers and I'll have my hands on one this week. It's rated the same as the 11-9 just more lenght.

Never asked that question DJ.Talked with Ryan White at Hatterus Jacks about performance only. He told me it will give a little bit more distance then the 11-9 so I said send one blank up so I can build it.