Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

SMB136 4M

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I got one of these tree trunks sitting in my shop, going to be wrapped for a friend. He will use it for chunking with 4-10oz, but mostly the heavier 8-10 range. He felt it, and wanted me to cut 6" off the tip. I though this was a bit much, I'm afraid since he in a Rookie with a Newell, taking that much off will stiffen the rod up to teh point where it will cause a lot of backlashes.

What do you guys think, I tried convincing him 3" of the tip is good, and then we both got confused. Ergo, the question posed here. Thanks.

If I leave it alone, how will it cast the 8-10 + chunk range? I almost want to leave it, let him fish it a few times, then see if I should cut it - then re-wrap a few guides.

Leave it alone and make sure the first two guides are spaced at 5-6" so if he wants it stiffer, its pull the tip, cut off 1st guide, and replace tip...limiting rewrap labor.

Thanks. Re-wrap labor is nil, he's a friend of mine - I just want to make sure he's getting the "best" out of the blank for what he wants to do. I'm looking foward to watching him cast this thing, should be pretty funny regardless of where it's cut. HEAD'S UP!!!

I'm always ascared of cutting, I overcut my Calstar 800L to the point it is stiffer than a 700H, so now I have a Tog rod I can use for Cod and Tuna, lol.

The 4M has no bottom--it'll bend all the way to the reel seat. Your friend shouldn't expect it to load with 8-10 and a chunk the same way a graphite heaver will, but it will cast that weight and more. Before he has it cut, he should try a few casts and get used to letting the flex of the rod work for him. It's more of a catapault than a cannon.

I fish this conventional with a 7001 and 50# Power Pro line because it is glass. Jersey chunking, heads and clams. I would put the sweet spot at not much more than 6 oz plus bait, maybe 9 oz total. I know lami rates it at 4-12, but no way on the high end, if you really want to load it and rip. It'll bend all the way to your knuckles when you load it right and with a good fish...but that ol' glass is tough. It loads soft but fires...like a rocket. Much diffrent than graphite... icon14.gif

Mine is built full length, will toss 10oz and a chunk 100+yds...loads right down to the reel seat, good soft tip for clam baits...leave it full length.

If he mags that Newell the right way it'll toss 8nbait 100yds without ever thumbing the spool...tell him to pm me for the mag details.

It's a beast of a rod but it can land anything that swims!

biggrin.gif

Take 3" from the tip and if that conventional googan gives you any lip well, smack him smile.gif

gad

ps check the tip size before you cut to be sure you can get a big ring tip wink.gif

Yeah, Jeff, she can toss that much weight. I use a magged Squidder with 30lb Sufix Tritanium ,100-115yds hassle free. I can play with the mags for a few more yards but then I get some spool fluff/backlash, so I leave it set up as is. Only trouble with leaning on her at 8nBait is keeping the spool from slipping when loading the rod, strap a length of bicycle inner tube to reel seat and wrap over spool under thumb when casting. Reel seat is 31in from butt, rod is uncut. She's a real bear to load but it's only a deadstick bait setup for me.

biggrin.gif