Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike c

1363m

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

AL,I HAVE A SB1363M LAYING AROUND WAS THINKING OF CUTTING IT DOWN TO MAKE A TROLLING ROD.DO YOU THINK IT COULD POSSIBLY ACHIEVE THE RIGHT ACTION OR WOULD I BE WASTING MY TIME.THANKS MIKE

Mike,

The 1363M can be made into a super wire line bunker spoon rod for stripers. Other than for that application, I would hesitate to use it. The walls of the blank are not thick enough for heavier trolling applications.

Al

MNW,

Trim the tip to a #14 and trim the butt for an overall length of 9.5 feet.

Spine and mark the blank.

Butt is comprised of a 12-inch Stuart SlickButt, Aftco gimbal and an Aftco ARS machined reelseat to fit the blank. It's probably an ARS2M or 3M seat. You will need to check the blank's OD where the reelseat will be. An 8-inch foregrip in EVA or cork.

You can use either Carbaloy guides or Fuji SIC's. Both are approximately the same cost. I use SIC's in the Fuji USG model in the following sizes:

25,20,16,16,12,12,12,12,12,12 plus a #14 UST

tip.

Position the #25 stripper approximately 25-inches from the center of the reelseat.

The #12 guide is 5-inches from the tip.

Space the remaining guides in 1/2-3/4 inch increasing interval moving from tip to butt.

Underwrap with A thread and apply one coat of color sealant and one coat of finish.

Double overwrap the guides with size A thread applying a coat of finish between each overwrap. Wait a minimum of three days between each overwrap to allow the finish to completely cure.

Apply two thin final coats of finish and let the rod sit for at least a week before using it.

Al