Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

St. Croix Composite Rods

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just came back from Capitol Tackle in Manhattan, and I saw a "new?" (at least to me) line of St. Croix composite rods. The 2 I looked at were rated 15-30 and 20-40. They were made of SCI, SCII, and a woven graphite similar to Loomis Hybrid that was also SCII. They were very light and had a lot of power.

Just wondering if they are new and if they sell the blank. Thank you, Billy

Billy,

I think what you were looking at were the Ben Doerr and Ben Doer Elite models. At least the last time I looked that's what they had. The Elite model has the woven seat. The Seekers look like a good deal too.

John E

Actually, they were not Surf rods - I should have mentioned that in my original post. They are called Premier, and, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the seat on these rods is a regular Fuji. What is woven is the actual graphite where the butt wrap would go. John, if I misunderstood, I apologize, just do not want to cause any confusion here.

One blank was 6ft, the other I looked at was 7 ft. The other few models were 6'6+ and had Fuji Turbo guides on them.

Thank you, Billy

Hello, Billy.

I have become a St.Croix fan over the last year and a half or so. The rods I have are all 6'-6.5' spinning, so maybe we're not talking apples and apples. But here goes nuthin'. wink.gif

As far as I know, St.Croix's Premier series are built on SCII blanks and feature PacBay hialoy guides. Their Avid series are built on SCIII blanks and feature Fuji hardloy guides. As far as I know, the seat maker matched the guide maker.

The only "Premier" variants I see in their 2000 catalog are the Premier Musky and the Premier Saltwater. I don't see any mention of "weaving" for any of their "Premier" series, so maybe this isn't any help. Their website is www.stcroixrods.com if you haven't tried there yet.

Good fishing to you, smile.gif

Weege

Billy,

I am not aware that these particular blanks are composite/hybrids. They may have an outer layer of woven graphite cloth but I do not believe they also contain fiberglass material.

Al

Billy,

Popped back in to post an update with new info, but it looks like you found it. wink.gif I actually didn't check their website myself. I got a Cabela's catalog today and they had these new rods and explained the construction.