Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Fly rod guide sizes

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Going to wrap an 11 wt and am in the process of deciding what size guides to use. I'm thinking along the lines of a 20 / 12 / 10 in either single or double foot guides, then changing over to single foot snakes. Does size 8 sound right for the snakes ?

I'll be using a combo of full lines & shooting heads, want a ring that is large enough, but not too large, whata ya think?

8s are fine for running guides on an 11 but I'd go SVSG-20, SVSG-16, NSG 12, on the stripper and first two running guides. Try to figure out a spacing that places the 12 on a ferrule if it is a 2 pc. In general, your rod will be less prone to breakage if you can get the guides to fall on the ferrules. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's worth the effort if possible. As for the single foot snakes? I'd go ceramic all the way out if you are partial to singlefoot guides. I love the Ti framed Sic as they are not much more than the stainless framed Sic and far lighter. The Ti frames for the double foot are a bit$$ but worth it if you can swing the bling!

Okay, I'm ready for my bashing biggrin.gif

Ed,

I got into starting with a 25. The problem with that is you need a 3" tube to store it. I wrote to Lefty Kreh once and he recommended the bigger stripping guides. I use the biggest snakes I can get and only tapper down the last 2. I think 6's are the biggest you will find. I've made rods with single foots as well. Thats the problem once you start you want to try new things.

snake guides don't come in a size 8, assuming you mean ceramic guide i'd go double foot 20-16-12 single foot 10, and 8s on out to the tip. for the tip i wrap a guide in place rather than a tiptop because the ring elavation for a #8 ceramic guide and a ceramic tiptop is quite different. for stainless snake guides the first three remain the same followed by one #6 snake and 5s on out

NSG 25,16,16,12

Single foot SG10's out

MST10 tip - #10 ring

Position the 25,16,12 and the single foots with standard spacing.

Position the second #16 guide 4-inches forward of the #25 stripper guide.

The #10 single foots will allow for better knot clearance and improved shooting of the line. The second #16 forward of the stripper guide will also add to your distance.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I did order a bunch of guides and I'll be able to tape on all the recommended stuff and compare.

The 25 sounds big and it won't allow me to use the double rod carrier that I want to stow it in. But if I see that it's a worth while addition in the test casts, I'll just put it in a separate tube.

smile.gif