Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

SiC Guides Breaking Easily???????

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Built my first custom this season and man do i love it. If you don't have one or more you're missing out.

anyway..here are the specs..

xra1322 one piece

all sic guides...and here lies the problem.

I've broken the rod 3 times this year. It seems like these rings cannot take any punishment at all. I've got some ugly sticks that i've literally run over and the rings stay put. These crack/break seem to break waaaaaaay too easily.

Am I just too rough on it?

Are other guys having the same issues?

Is it the rod and not the guides??

Thanks,

As usual sol is the greatest!!!!!

Stroth a couple of questions. What style guides? Fuji? which ones are you breaking? The ring is cracking or just falling out of the frame?

I have SIC's on a bunch of rods that get hammered and never a problem. Maybe the answers to the above questions will help figure it out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Usually it is the top two guides after the tip-top.

The guide rings are cracking and then falling out.

They are Fuji guides.

It sounds like you casting a big nasty knot thru a relatively small ring often, or you reel your swivel into the tip a lot. On my surf rods I use 16 ring SIC and rarely use a swivel. The SIC are "brittle" at times, but the amount of breakage you're experiencing says that something besides the guides are at fault(that means youwink.gif. If you don't have those problems, you can try a hardloy top, which may be a bit more durable to breakage, but a bit more prone to grooving from braid(at the extreme)

Hey

The tip isn't breaking, it is the guides that are below the tip.

Here is my set-up...20# line....10 foot 50# leader tied with a uni-knot....then a snap. No swivels in use at all.........

occ. i will throw braid..so i like the sic

12(tip) 12 12 12 16 20 25 30

they are spaced as follows from the tip back...

5.5 6.0 8.0 10.0 12.0 14.0 17.0 29.5

Should I have copyrighted this info????? smile.gifsmile.gif

top guides ?? I have the same blank and all fuji sic guides (no problem)..I hate to ask but I hope your not reeling any terminal tackle through those guides (barrel swivel).? I fish rocks alot and I treat that blank like a baby..I don't let anyone eles fish it (kids) ..

i think i solved my breaking problem..

the guides are from pac. bay and not fuji...anyone else had problems with pac bay guides....

i think i solved my breaking problem..

the guides are from pac. bay and not fuji...anyone else had problems with pac bay guides....

Just about everyone biggrin.gif

I had to replace 2 Sic Pac Bay Tips on a 9'rod I built last winter. Third time I put a Fuji on no problem with the tip after that. Just had the #3 guide chip.Lost 3 good bass changed reels thinking braid was bad. Lost a 4th and finally saw the chip in the guide. I'm going to tear down the rod and never ever purchase Pac Bay Sic again. I have not had a problem with Fuji Sic.

In terms of slickness sic guides cannot be beat....you can actually feel the diff. between sic and Hardaloy....it's like the guides are not even there....

My final analysis is that the sic guides are absolutely horrible....i unfortunately have them on two rods....one st. croix and my xra1322...my next project is to strip the st. croix..

i don't really care about the cost diff or some suppossed improvements pac. bay has made they are terrible....the ring should never never crack with normal use.......

actually i'm so fired up right now i should package up the busted guides and send em' back.......Anyone done that???

pac. bay = upck.gif