Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DJE9599

GUIDE HELP

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

AL

AL

I'm having trouble with guide spacing on a 7' slow action blank. Everything is good except the butt guide. for some reason the line touches the blank between the foregrip and the butt guide. This is the set up butt guide 22" from center of reel seat #20 bnlg

#16 #12 #12 #10 #10 #10 #10 and I even added one more #10 for a total of 9 guides + the tip. I'm running out of room to move the butt guide any closer to the foregrip.I don't think I should have to use a #25 butt guide on a 7' boat rod. could it be that I'm flexing the blank too much while doing the static deflection test. it only happens when it's under heavy load

DENNIS

Dennis,

You are probably correct and are overloading the rod. Here is a suggestion.

Take two pounds of sinkers, 32 ounces, and put them in a plastic bag. Tie up the bag securely with some heavy mono line and tie a loop at the end of the tie off.

Tie a snap swivel to the end of your line.

Place the bag of sinkers on the floor and clip the snap swivel to the loop on the bag.

Adjust the drag on your reel to it's proper setting. If this a a light boat rod for fluke and flounder then 2-3 lbs of drag should be sufficient. You want enough drag so when you try to lift the sinker bag the reel drag starts to slip very slowly.

When you lift the bag the rod should be pointed at a 45 degree angle to the floor.

Lift the bag with the rod and then check the guide spacing and specifically look at the stripper guide. You should be no closer then 20-22 inches from the stripper to the reel. If you are closer than the rod is being overloaded.

let me know how you make out.

Al