Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

What's on the Bench 12/16/01

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Continuing with "What's on the Bench", I am starting on the following rods this week for next season:

7.5 foot conventional boat chunking rod to be used in Montauk. This is for a commercial fisherman/friend of mine. He fishes with Fireline and prefers a softer tip so I will be using a Seeker PS83 eglass blank. I built one of these for myself last year and let him borrow it. He will not return it until I build one for him. Actually, he wants two of these.

GSB132-2M 2 piece surf spinning rod. This will be set up with Fuji high-frame SIC spinning guides.

Lami GSH961MT - 8-foot conventional bucktailing rod rated 3/4-1.5 ounces. This will be used for casting leadheads and bucktailing in the spring for bass and albacore in the fall casting Deadly Dicks using a Calcutta 250 and 20# Fireline.

The three rods previously on the bench are in there final stages of finishing.

3-piece Loomis spinning rod rated for 1/4-3/4 ounces.

8-foot conventional plug casting rod rated from 1-3 ounces. Loomis FS96XGL2.

7-foot conventional boat rod for togging, bass chunking and eeling. Calstar GF700L wrapped with a spiral wrap.

Lot's of inquiries about the February Workshop. I already have received 10 registrations and deposits. If you haven't already sent in your registration, please do so ASAP since the workshop is just seven weeks away and there is alot of planning to be done.

Well, while you polish off the 3 from last week and are moving ahead with 3 more this week - the tortoise that I am finished installing the grip and seat as well as the butt wrap on the CGBT841M. At this rate I'll finish the rod at the end of the month!!

Actually I spent 8 hours on the butt wrap, and will test cast for guide placement this weeks, which will allow me to wrap the underwraps and guide wraps by the end of the week.

Billy,

Knowing the type of threadwork you do, then 8 hours is about right. A well executed double chevron or diamond is easily 4-5 hours.

My guess is that you easily put in 20-25 hours total for each of your rods. Now, if you get into fancy grips like Bernie C. or weaving like Jeff O. you will be looking at another 15-20 hours.

Addictive, isn't it?

Al

Just started on a 7.5' conventional for eeling and bucktailing from the boat. Built on a lami composite blank, not sure exactly which one. So far I have figured out the reel seat placement and rough guide spacing. I will probably glue the reel seat and tip tonight and start tinkering with the guides for final placement tomorrow. Since this is my first try, I have no idea how long it will take. After that is a 7' conventional cod jigging stick.

Angryeel

Angry,

The 7.5 foot blank was cut from a Lami C6909 composite blank. I trimmed it all from the butt. The cod jigging blank is a Lami CGBT841M.

Have fun wrapping.

Al

yeah, i know im one of them....

and for that reason ive

gone with the off the rack lami/st crox.

different guides ?

guide placement ?

is there such a thing as a 2-pc blank

Plugger,

The current Lamiglass catalog lists approximately twelve graphite blanks in 2-piece for surf applications. The performance of the blanks is just as good as their one-piece brothers.

Al