Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Lami SSB1362m, Loomis SUR1266s or Arra 1322

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I had a conversation recently with a Lami Rep who basicly said that in his opinion the S series line of rods is possibly the best Lami has ever come out with. He recomended the SSB1362m with a bit trimmed from the butt as an outstanding surf rod capapble of throwing all kinds of plugs.

I'm interested in a new spinning stick for tossing wood at the Hook. I want something in the 10'6'' range that's light enough to not turn my arm into spagetti after a few hours but has the stones to pull a large out of current. I was leaning towards the Loomis SUR1266s or the Arra 1322 but now this gentleman tossed a monkee wrench in by ranting about this SSB1362m blank.

It'll be paired with a Penn 704 greenie using 30# to 50# braid.

Which rod do you recommend??????

How big is the wood? The 2M gets kinda spongy when you throw more than 3 oz. And the SSB 136 3M has more stones to pull them out of current.

I wish they still made the 2F in S-glass. That was a nice balance between the 2M and 3M.

I'm with Ditch on this one, the 1362M is nice but the 1363M is a step up and can do it all if you have the strength to cast it all day.Both are classic heavy duty plugging rods but with todays graphite materials you can liken either of them to swinging a 2x4!! GSB1321L my choice these days if I go 11ft spinning.

biggrin.gif

Jerry, just get the Arra 1322. You've "tried" to throw mine. Take another test drive anytime you want. You know its the only rod I used all Fall for plugging. It'll throw bombers, the sweet spot is just under 3oz and it'll handle any fish "you" get hooked up with. It floats like a butterfly, but stings like a bee. eek.gif

I am familiar w/ the Loomis 1266 and the Lamiglas SB136 2M...2 really different blanks...the Lamiglas is passé IMHO compared to the Loomis...it's thick butted and heavier than the Loomis...in fact the Loomis is very light in weight and has a sweet spot right at 3 oz...I use mine for big wood...loads easily and really cast far...no problems fighting "large"...but LARGE is relative! If you are talking about a 45# fish in a good current then you are going to have to really finesse it a good bit w/ the Loomis...if "large" is a 25# fish, the rod will get the job done nicely... Now if you fish a place like Cape Cod Canal, then all bets are off w/ this stick.

Go w/ the Loomis...it will come thru for you in most applications...

Poppy

personal opinion here but i don't care to much for braided lines and fast powerful rods like the 1322 so i use mine with mono and i'm very content, having said that, i have all three of the lamis mentioned and would have to say if i went the braid route i'd favor the 3m for the large plugs and hpefully large fish, it only weights 3 oz. more than the 1322 but more of the material is in the butt so the eefective carry weight feels about the same or maybe less actually. and yes i agree the 2m is a nice all around surf stick, little faster than the 3m if i recall, but i have'nt waggled it in years or fished it in decades smile.gif

[ 04-01-2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: tkfjr ]