Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

How do you practice?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al , Nice forum here. I've enjoyed reading it. My question is , what do you practice on? I'll be building 2 rods over the winter. One is going to be a heavily used jigging stick for the canal which will do well to last 2 to 3 years. That one I'll slap together ofr functionality. The other though will be a seldom used light conventional which should last a lifetime. I'd like to do something nice with that one. Do you practice the decorative wraps on pieces of wooden dowel? old broken rods? I want to do the decorative wrap for the lighter rod a few times on something disposable to practice before I attempt to do it on the rod.

Salt,

I wish I could practice. However, when I can it's usually on a piece of scrap blank or a 1/2-3/4 inch wooden dowel.

I just finished the first three rods for 2001 and there is a mountain in front of me.

Al

Hi Saltheart!

Your question brings back some old memories. Twenty-five years ago I decided I was going to build rods. I needed practice and didn't have much in the way of folding green. So... I offered to repair broken fishing rods for the guys in the neighborhood. They supplied the materials and I repaied them no-charge. Once I had repaired enough rods I had done all of the rod building unit operations, like guide wrapping, reel seat installation, working with varnish, installing grips ect.

Before I knew it, my work got good enough that the guys in the neighborhood insisted on paying something for the work that I gladly did for free.

Thats when I marched into the old Mikes Tackle In Brooklyn and started from scratch, first making rods for my brother then for myself. The rest is history!

Prefessa,

Now you are dating yourself. Mike's, now that brings back alot of memories. Remember Mike's Special in the Lami LTD. What a stick!!

Hope to see you at the Freeport Federation Show, February 16-18th. Please stop at the booth and say hello.

Al

Al:

I remember it well! I still have one cut down CMB-96 3M that serves well as my schoolie rod!(3" cut from the tip).

Where can I get more info on this show?

Prefessa,

The New York Sportfishing Federation Show will be held at the Freeport Recreation Center on Merrick Road, Freeport, New York from Friday through Sunday, February 16, 17 and 18, 2001.

Show Hours are 2-8 PM Friday; 9-6 PM Saturday and 9-5 PM Sunday. There will be talks going on each day on all kinds of sportfishing subjects from Surf to Offshore, bottom fishing to Fly Fishing. There is an great flea market with great deals on tackle and on Sunday afternoon there is an auction starting at 3 PM on all kinds of fishing stuff, charter and partyboat trips. There is usually one super auction trip to some exotic place.

Directions to the show are the Southern State Parkway to exit 22 South - Meadowbrook Parkway South.

Take the exit for Merrick Road Freeport. Drive west on Merrick Road three blocks. The Recreation Center will be on your left.

Al G.