Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pksurfish

surf rod butt length

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am having a custom rod built - an 11'. I understand that a typical butt length (from end of butt to top of reel seat is 25"-28". Does that sound right?

My own preference in this range seems to be at the shorter end 25"-26". The rod just feels better there to me than it does at 27"-28". Do I lose anything in terms of casting distance or ease at 25-26"?

(I sent message by mistake before finished.) If I decide to change the length of the rod after it is made, how easy is it to lengthen or shorten it from the butt end is it? And how do you do that? thanks.

PK:

the purpose of building a custom rod is too make it comfortable for you. If you prefer 25" then 25 it is. If the rod is front end heavy the builder can counter balance the back end. Its no big deal. Make sure you let him/her know which reel you intend the fish rod with, it will help in the setup.

As for changing, I wouldnt reccomend it. Rods are generally built from the reel seat up. Meaning the seat is slid down and epoxyed in place first, then the guides are wrapped. The original seat would have to be cut off the blank and then a new one slid over the guides? Not gonna happen. You could go from the bottom up but that means using a seat thats generally way too big for the blank and a bunch of tape or arbors. Plus all the cutting, stripping, reworking isnt good for a blank. IMHO anyway.

I was thinking changing a couple of inches would be easier than above shows. To shorten, couldn't you just cut an inch or two off the butt and put on a new butt cap? to lengthen, couldn't you insert some kind of extension or longer butt cap in the butt end?

This is the method I've always used....Al, tell me if I'm off-base here. I usually place the butt end of the rod under my armpit, and where I grab the rod with my arm extended fully is where I place the reel/reel seat. Works for me!

Thanks for suggestions - keep them coming.

Possible problem with system just mentioned is that the measurement would be the same for all length rods. I find that I need - am comfortable with - a shorter butt with a 9' rod, say, than an 11' rod. And my manufactured rods have shorter butts on the shorter rods.

Also, I have just measured from my armpit to between my second finger and the third (where I grab the reel post), and it's 24". That's on the short side for an 11' rod don't you think? And I wear a 34" sleeve short. Guys who have a shorter sleeve would have even shorter rods - all of below the standard 25'-28" I have seen suggested for an 11' rod.

I may be confusing things here. I just noticed that Al mentioned the BASE of the reel seat - I presume meaning the bottom. Measurements I have been mentioning are to the TOP of the seat, which is the measurment my rod maker asked for. How long is the reel seat? About 5" it would seem from my surfcaster catalog.