Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turboandy

removing old reel seats ?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Andy,

Although it may make the custom builders shudder, I used the following method to remove two reel seats last year. The rods were both fiberglass. If you have a graphite rods, you may not want to use last part of number 2, since the pressure on the blank may damage it. And yes, it will damage the reel seat. If you're intent is to reuse the reel seat, buying a new reel seat would probably save you alot of aggrivation for the cost ($8 to $12).

1. Remove the metal hoods using tin snips. I imagine you could use a dremel tool if you're careful. I didn't trust myself.

2. The remaining plastic/graphite section of the seat can be removed using a sharp utility knife with a heavy duty blade. I "shaved" off small pieces and used the knife to score the seat along its length to cut it into small pieces. You can also use to a screwdriver to beak off small sections of the seat by inserting it between the blank and seat. Twist sideways with the screwdriver, otherwise you'll be forcing the tip of the screwdriver into the blank and damaging it.

John E.

[This message has been edited by John E (edited 01-24-2001).]