Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jce

Coasters

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm in the same boat as you. I am trying to decide what to put on my new Rainshadow 1569. I like the Fuji plate seats ... until I have to take the reel off the rod. I find it a pain in the butt having to remove/re-attach the reel clamp each time.

I won't fish a plate seat without a clamp.

Tres at Hatteras Outfitters has some really cool coaters on his site. I haven't used them yet, but a buddy of mine is going to let me try them out this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

mudhole sells these:

coastal3.jpg

i've tried the coasters ; for me they just seem to get in the way hammer-time.gif

veals sells another brand .... sorry i don't have a pic

derf

Tres' site says not to use the coasters for big fish like drum.

I guess I'll just put a regular seat on it.

Or the plate seat.

Decision, decisions, decisions.

Hey Newsjeff, I am building a rainshaddow 1569 too biggrin.gif I havent seen the fuji plate type seat, is it effective? What clamps do you use?

I will be using shrink wrap on the butt, so the one from mudhole will not work, as far as I can tell, but thanks anyway derf. I saw the one at veals, it looks good, but don't know if it will work with the shrink wrap and the cost is high with the exchange rate and shipping. I saw the coasters at Hatteras Outfitters and may use them, adding a fixed reel seat if I feel they are not working for me. Please do keep me updated. biggrin.gif

I've got a OM Cape Point Special w/ a 525mag on it. The plate seat is very nice. Very light. I used the Penn reel camp that came with the reel. It's a nice fit with very little wobble. I little side-to-side wiggle but not enough to make a diffrence, IMHO.

I really like the Fuji LS7BB plate seat, but I just don't like having to take the clamp on and off each time I want to work on the reel.

I'm cutting my 1569 down 6" off the butt. And using Fuji alconite guides.

I'm gonna put a little cork tape above the reel seat. Then add some X-flocked (diamond) shrink wrap from the bottom of the reel seat to the end.

Seachaser

Plate seats sit lower on a blank handle. This means that you can get more purchase onto an open cage design conventional reel spool with your thumb than with a pipe seat design as shown in the posts above. The difference is significant even more so if the butt diameter is over one inch. Ok there are down sides to plate seats. They do not hold big reels very well. The ABU 7000 is about tops for me. The reel will always rock a little and the clip could come undone. They are very light in weight though.

The pipe seats that are permanently fixed are the most secure but they are not so comfertable and the diameter is bigger.

The movable pipe seats are large and only have a small range of butt sizes that they will work with. They can move to under casting pressure.

If you want the best solution measured by clamping force onto the spool by your thumb which is vital for big hitting then you have to go to coasters. You have mentioned Veals so look on their site and they do a brand I think called comfy coasters where the knob closest to the casting hand is oversize to make a nice purchase point for your index finger. They cost about $12 a pair. Coasters let you wrap your index finger around the button and pull with this finger forcing your thumb onto the spool. Now what you have to know about proper coasters like these is that they will slip off some types of reel seat feet. Some reels have slots in to stop this but very few. Reels will sometimes move under pressure. You have to mount coaster on top of PVC shrink wrap or other similar material to help prevent compression damage to the blank and also to help stop slippage.

Coasters are the first choice of nearly all UK Tournament casters and many of the Beach men as well who are looking for ultimate distance.

As a final note always be ultra cautious when contemplating buying a second hand surf rod that has coasters fitted. You need to check for butt damage or you could be in for big bucks. A zziplex butt could set you back over $100. Some Guys just crank up the pressure way to much.

Hope this helped.

Mike o.

If you decide to go w/ coasters for fishing there are at least 2 types. The plastic ones by breakaway suck, I broke 2 different sets while fighting drum. I have since gone w/ a combination of reelseat hood in front and metal coaster for rear on my purglass - no troubles.

i have put coasters on my lami and on my breakaways just because my hands are really that small where i need that extra little bit.

jeff if you like the way the coasters feel, go for it, you dont have anything to worry about. i've watched guys catch brown things with nothing but tape on their reels. the coasters will lock the reel down promise, i'll show ya sun.

also, if you look on tres site or talk to him, hes caught some drum on dem poles he's got. just make sure when you build it they . well nevermind i'll talk to you about it later

neil