Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dont eat the bait

Chalk line to set guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried using a chalk line to establish the centerline for guides?

Obviously establishing the centerline is easy on a two piece rod, but I have to admit I'm struggling with a 11' single piece rod I'm building.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,

Pete

Getting the first guide straight with the reel seat is the trick. Once you get that , looking down the rod with the guides facing down will make it easy to align the rest. I find I have to put a reel in the reel seat to get that first guide lined up.

A laser line would seem like a good idea and I have thought about making one up that would secure into a reel seat.

There is one problem that I can think of is that it assumes the blank is perfectly straight. My eyes are still good and I prefer to eyeball them.

I have a Renzetti laser attachment on my lathe. it attaches permanently and is then lined up with the center of the lathe bed. Anyway , i found it had very limited utility. Kind of a waste of money.

I use a knive blade and scratch a line, when you put the finish on the line goes away. Don't use a pencil. You can line up the reelseat, and crosswrap that way. Once you have the crosswrap on you can eyeball the rest.