Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve K

Rods bubbling

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I left some rods out in the rain while on vacation and two of them, one a factory and the other a custom, developed milky white bubbles in the finish. I have left rods out in the rain before and this is the first time that this has ever happened. Anyone know why and how this affects the rods?

Thanks

Sounds like the integrity of the finish was jepordized (nicked and a piece came off) and water got under the finish. That is the only thing that I can see that would cause the problem you are describing

Fishphinatic is correct. Moisture seeped under the finish and caused the clouding.

Here is an easy fix to the problem. Stand the rods outside in a warm and sunny area for a few days to dry out the moisture.

Use a fine synthetic finishing pad and carefully dull the wrap finish on the guide wraps.

Clean the area thoroughly with iso alcohol and a lintfree cloth. Make sure you clean the area beyond the edges of the guide wraps at least one inch.

Apply two thin coats of finish to the wraps. Make sure you go at least 1/8 inch beyond the end of the guide wraps.

Let the rod rest for at least 4-5 days to allow the finish to completely cure.

Steve,

It may not have been a crack in the finish. It can also be caused by color preserver extending beyond the edge of the wraps that got onto the blank. When you applied the finish it didn't completely seal the wraps. Eventually moisture began to seep in. If you read Part 4 of my series on rodbuilding you will see the steps to avoid this problem.

Another way it can happen is by constant flexing of the blank causing the seal of the finish to the blank to break.

It recently happened to me on a rod I have heavily fished.

Al