Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DamonM

Colors

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any interesting color combinations they've tried? I'd be interested in hearing some nice underwrap and overwrap combinations and butt wrap colors.

I posted some pictures about 2 weeks ago in the Forum. Take a look at: http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...ML/000244.html

To see some of the work displayed at the Rodcrafters Northeast Seminar, click on: http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...ML/000193.html

There are also books that help you tell what colors go with what. They have the title, "Color Harmony" and there are about 5 different volumes. Go to Barnes and Nobles or Borders and ask them to point you in the direction of these books. When you get there you probably see a bunch of books that have a color wheel and color plates in them. Just browse thrpough until you see a combo you like and write it down. When you get home see how it looks on a scrap blank.

Good luck, Billy

Damon,

One trick I use is to put two colors together that make one color, then use the three colors that you end up with.

example: red and blue make purple so use red, blue, purple.

blue and yellow make green so use blue, green, yellow.

red and yellow make orange so use red, orange, yellow.

black and white make grey so use black, grey, white.

purple and white make lavender

red and white make pink

also try chevron or diamond fades on butt wraps, they look awesome.

i think you get the idea. always try to layer your colors lightest on the bottom and darkest on the top.

hope this gives you some ideas, Gary

Gary,

You should post those pictures you sent me.Awesome wraps. It will also show them those effects and give thema few ideas. Can't wait for the heaver.

Shag

Gary, if at all possible post pictures of your wraps. I'm interested in seeing them. I'm curious as to how this faded look actually looks. I've been thinking of fading (as well as shading) the various colors of blue with scarlet/candy apple red - thus producing different shades of purple. Using your first exapmle, red + blue = purple, how would you use this on a guide wrap?? Purple underwrap, followed by blue and then red? Now that I typed it I figured it out. Pretty cool.

Billy

One great source of harmonius color combinations is, believe it or not, professional sports team uniforms. Most have spent big bucks having color consultants work up their logos and team theme colors. Fans often get a large kick out having their rods wrapped to reflect their favorite team in whatever sport, and the color combos are pretty uniformly excellent.

Some ideas just never do work, however, and if you've got any doubts, ask your wife or girlfriend. Women seem to have natural instincts for this stuff. Remember also that there's more to it than just the thread work here. Deep brown over beige underwraps might look great on an S-Glass, brown, or other "warm-toned" blank, for example, but is a really rather hideous choice when applied on the cold grey of most graphite blanks. You definitely need to keep your "canvas" in mind when considering what you're putting on to it.

Another thought on thread color selection is that finishes which truly can resist ambering may be almost upon us, but the jury's still out; everything available in the past ambers, to varying degrees, with u/v exposure. As the yellow / amber color cast sets in on the clear coats over the years, some thread colors experience pretty dire effects. Whites will begin to look dirty and dingey, pale blues take on a sickly green tone, and silver begins to look rather putrid. Large exposures of susceptible colors should really be avoided until finishes which can absolutely resist discoloring over the long haul have proven their worth.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 03-02-2001).]

I feel that colors with good contrast always lool the best. Also, simple wraps like all black with gold tipping or a gold stripe in the middle of the underwarp always look good to me. Sometimes the simpler,the better.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

P.S.- Some combinations that I like Baby Blue and Royal Blue, Navy blue and Yellow, Royal Blue and Green, And Garnet and a Gunmetal gray,all are especially nice on graphite blanks.wink.gif

A biggie in my book..... Gold metalic underwrap with either black or red trim bands, overwrap in untreated(CP) Green thread for a metallic bleed! Awsome!

Here is the pic I sent shag. From left to right the fourth and fifth rod have a fade on them. I hope I do this right so you guys can see them. You can email me if you want and I can send you a better pic of the fades.

Gary

------------------

custom wraps

[This message has been edited by 8NBAIT (edited 03-03-2001).]

Billy, something that looks good is to start your fade with the underwrap color and then go to your other colors and when you finish fade back to underwrap color. This gives the effect of the wraps coming out of the underwrap and then going back in, kinda hard to explain but I will give an example. light blue under wrap, start fade with same light blue, then go to aqua, then dark blue, then back to light blue.

another wrap that I did recently that looks great in the colors you mentioned is: black underwrap, start fade with red, then purple, then blue. After your final pass with blue wrap in one thread of a contrasting color (yellow, orange, something neon) and then do one more 4 or 5 thread pass of blue.

On the guide wrap underwrap blue, guide feet in purple and red trim bands, maybe finish with gold or silver trim bands, copper also looks cool. I usually don't leave my underwrap color sticking out for a trim band on the fading. Another thing you can do is under wrap in blue and then do your feet in a red and blue shade (red and blue wrapped at the same time) with a red trim band. The possibilities are endless smile.gif

Gary

[This message has been edited by 8NBAIT (edited 03-03-2001).]

Hi, everybody,

One of the rods I am working on is a Lami S-glass rod which has a chesnut color (light brown with a slight hint of red). I find it difficut to match this blank color.

For black/dark gray blank, I usualy use blue, purple, black with gold or red trim. these colors don't go well with chesnut brown. does anybody has experience with this blank color and can suggest some color combination?

8Nbait, can you explain how do you fade the color? I only do basic wrap and am not familiar with this technique.

thanks

Nano,

Try metallic red with metallic gold trim bands and inlays overwrapped with chestnut brown Gudebrod regular thread. It looks great on a chestnut colored blank.

You can also do a fade wrap with the metallic gold, metallic copper, metallic red, regular burgundy and chestnut brown.

Billy has seen my version of these wraps that I call the Flame. Very attractive. I am currently finishing up one on an Arra surf blank that is the burgundy/redish brown color. Looks great.

Al

The flame wrap is sweet. Here are a couple of pictures of Al's wraps that look much better in person (or in focus). The one on the bottom look like that because its on a Cape Fear blank. I need to go to sleep now. I think the epoxy fumes from the rod I finished earlier are keeping me up.

View?u=1447510&a=10995119&p=38230881&Seq

Nano, with the chestnut blank I think reds and colds would go good. Red, maroon, burgandy, gold. Also greens, try to use earth tones.

Fade chevron wrap:

Figure out what colors you are going to use let's say greens... I make passes with 5 threads at a time. Start with 5 threads of 105 spring green, then 1 thread of 6779 medium green and 4 threads of 105, then 2-6779 and 3-105 then 3-6779 and 2-105 then 4-6779 and 1-105 then 5-6779 this completes your first fade from 105 to 6779. Next pass with 1-5896 dark green and 4-6779 then 2-5896 and 3-6779 then 3-5896 and 2-6779 then 4-5896 and 1-6779 then 5-5896 you have now faded out of your second color and into the final color. I like to add a contrasting color at this point maybe a yellow or orange. The final pass I start with my contrasting color, let's use yellow. 1 thread of 6778 lemon yellow and 4-5896. that's it, pretty simple yet looks so cool.

To do the chevron the spacing depends on the size of the blank. On large heavers I usually space the intersections at 2" and smaller blanks this may be down to 1".

Hope this helps, Gary

Al, Gary,

thanks for the suggestions. I think I will play around with the red,gold, and other earth tone colors to see what combinations look the best.

that flame wrap does look gorgeous. wish I could do that.