Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angryeel

Cleaning thread?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al, I have a question about finish prep; is it o.k. to wipe down the wraps with alcohol before finishing? I did not grasp the importance of a dust free environment before I started wrapping my first rod, so far so good, but there is a little bit of dust/debri on the wraps; wondering if it is o.k. to wipe it off with some alcohol before applying finish. Everything else has been going pretty well, I have just about finished wrapping the first rod; so far it looks pretty good, not perfect, but much better than I anticipated. I started with the 7.5' eeling and bucktailing rod, it casts much better than I would have thought, it puts a 4oz bank sinker way out; it should be perfect for eels and jigs biggrin.gif . Thanks again for the help getting started and have a great holiday!

Angryeel

Good Morning Gabe,

Glad to hear you are proceeding well with the two rods. The best way to remove dust from the wraps is with masking tape. Just gently touch the masking tape to the wraps and it will pull off the dust or other debris. You can wipe down the wraps with a lint free cloth moistens with alcohol as well.

Have a great holiday and New Year,

Al

I had a bad experience with alcohol and metalic thread I wiped the threads in a butt wrap down with alcohol and it took the color out of the red thread.I had to start all over with the wrap.

Re - Wiping threads with a lint free cloth - most that claim to be "lint free" (coffee filters for one) - actually are not. When they are moistened and wiped, if you do it too hard the paper will tear and lint will be left behind.

Red Mettalic thread is the most delicate of teh mettalic colors. I was not aware alcohol will tarnish it, but I do know if you burnish it with a metal object (Clemens Thread tool) it will turn silver.

Billy 40 the red metalic thread turned silver where I wiped it with alcohol it almost appears that it is silver coated with something red to get the color after that I was very careful with alcohol and metalics.