Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

Finish on underwrap?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am working on my third build, the first two had no decorative butt wrap. On my guide wraps I usually apply a thin coat of finish to the underwrap before wrapping on the guides. Should I also finish the underwrap that I made as a base for my decorative butt wrap? Would finish make it too slippery to pack the threads for the diamonds?

I would finish the butt wrap completely before applying any finish. With a coat of finish on the underwrap, you would probably have a problem with the thread digging into the finish and not be able to pack it at all.

I've done it both ways....The thread will slip some with the epoxy on the underwrap. There is really no advantage to putting epoxy on the under wrap unless you get side-tracked and just want to protect the thread from contamination.

I do it both ways and it works.

one advantage of finishing the underwrap prior to wraping the guide is that in the future, if you do need to repair/replace a guide it will be easier.

I would finish the butt wrap completely before applying any finish. With a coat of finish on the underwrap, you would probably have a problem with the thread digging into the finish and not be able to pack it at all.

nice wraps!