Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew Robinson

guide stripping

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a tica surf rod that i want to strip down to change to a spinning rod. I am haveing a little trouble getting the old guides off. I used a utility knife to cut back the tread. but it seems the guide is still stuck to the underwrap / blank. I read in another post to use a heat gun / hair dryer to heat the flex coat to peel it off. Will the guide pop off after I heat it up? Should I remove as much of the underwrap as possible before trying to pop the guide off? what is the best approach / process for removing old guides? This is my first attempt at any form of rod building. As much help as you can give would be appriciated. thanks Matt Robinson.

Matt,

use a lighter directly on the epoxy then cut a straight line directly under the guide foot. then pull the guide in the opposite direction (away from you). it will come right off, cut under the epoxy and thread.

if you keep the epoxy warm, when you work with it, it is relatively easy to remove.

BC

Thanks I went home last night and set up a little ceramic heater. I used a wet rag to keep the blank cool and the epoxy was pretty easy to work with. I got all 10 guides stripped. Now I have to get some thread and learn how to wrap. I have tied flys for years. so can't be too hard. tongue.gif

So , this is your 1st rod you are going to wrap? Beware!This can become VERY habit forming..Do it once...you're hooked! Once is never enough. Have fun and take your time,you have all winter to get done! Don't rush!! HappyWave.gif

Matt,

make sure you get ALL the epoxy off the blank where the guide was before you re-wrap... use a regular razor blade to scrap (not SLICE) the old epoxy off. when you think you have it all off, use Denatured Alcohol on a rag to clean the area... you will then see any places you missed.. you can also use fine grit sand paper to smooth it out, then more denatured alcohol. then you should be ready to go!!

Good luck..

BC

The underwrap should come off easy. I like to just get it started with the point of the utility knive at the end. Then I pull it off.

Unless the new guides are going right where the old ones were it seems pretty ineveitable to have "footprints" showing pretty clearly where the original guides were wrapped. I've never seen anyone be 100% successful at getting rid of that ugliness. I know I never can. Usually it's varying degrees of "not too bad lookin'" at best.

For those epoxy footprints, I would wet them with denature alcohol for about 5mins, then I would soak one of those green scrubbing pad (for dish washing) in denature alcohol, wrap it around that "footprint", and stroke it really quick. Usually, most of the footprint will be gone.

You should put the guides back in the same place. I always use a underwrap, it protects the blank. The only time I don,t is on a flyrod. You want it look lightweight as possible.You don,t want it to look heavy.

If I remmeber right, be careful using denatured alcohol on tica blanks. I have not built one but have done repairs on them. The black finish on alot of blanks ie. the imported rainshow blanks, will soften even without you realizing it. You will have to work harder but you may want to use booboo alcohol. I have seen that finish really mess up the epoxy after being introduced to denatured. Take your time.